Question What are the maximum temps on 1080ti

Mar 30, 2020
Hello guys! I recently had a problom with my Aorus 1080ti xtreme waterforce and i had to change the cooling system with an air colled system from a Radeon RX 590 Fatboy (XFX). Now in games like CS:GO i have somewhere between 70 and 80 degrees but in games like Hitman 2 i had 90 degrees maximum 91 (Celsius). Are those temps safe?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just out of curiousity, which one is your gpu?
#1: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-aorus-gtx-1080-ti-waterforce-xtreme.b4746
#2: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/193733/gigabyte-gtx1080ti-11264-170516

You're sure the air cooler from the RX 590 is making proper contact?

And how can I monitor the frequency?
Msi Afterburner or EVGA Precision X.

And how can I stop the throttle?
You can't, unless you literally hack the vbios.

As an FYI, the reported temp is an average of three: gpu core, memory, and VRM.

Mar 30, 2020
#1: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-aorus-gtx-1080-ti-waterforce-xtreme.b4746

The first one is mine. And I'm pretty sure that the air cooler is making proper contact because it was asambled yesterday.

Mar 30, 2020

And how can I hack the bios or maybe do something similar without bios using.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The first one is mine. And I'm pretty sure that the air cooler is making proper contact because it was asambled yesterday.
If that is the case, then here's what I think is happening:
The Fatboy cooler is inadequate for the Waterforce Extreme gpu. It was crap on the original RX 590, it's going to be even less effective on a gpu can draw almost 2x the power of the RX 590.
There's a physical limitation here - the cooler.

And how can I hack the bios or maybe do something similar without bios using.
You can't do that either, unless you know how to do it on a programming level.
The most you could do is cap the power limit as low as it'll go, but I suspect it'll still throttle. The RX 590 Fatboy had a max of 196w. The Waterforce has a minimum of 250w...

Mar 30, 2020
The Fatboy cooler is inadequate for the Waterforce Extreme gpu. It was crap on the original RX 590, it's going to be even less effective on a gpu can draw almost 2x the power of the RX 590.

The most you could do is cap the power limit as low as it'll go, but I suspect it'll still throttle. The RX 590 Fatboy had a max of 196w. The Waterforce has a minimum of 250w...
Do you know if it could be other air cooling that fit on aorus 1080ti xtreme waterforce?

Mar 30, 2020

And how can I limit the power?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/ax4.html
All the technical info is there, along with this:
A)Max. Cooling Capacity: 300 Watts
B)Accelero Xtreme IV is compatible only with the graphics card using a standard size PCB with a width of 98mm.
C)Graphics cards with different dimensions will not be compatible with this cooler. This includes:
-Low profile Graphics card
-Graphics cards with extended PCB
D)The compatibility list is based on AMD Radeon and NVIDIA's reference board layout only. Please check the height restriction drawing before purchase.

E)Also, this cooler turns the user's gpu into a FIVE SLOT card, so you need to have space for this monster.

Even if I'll do some extra screws?
If the tooling of the cooler doesn't match that of the Waterforce Extreme PCB, you're boned.

Mar 30, 2020
B)Accelero Xtreme IV is compatible only with the graphics card using a standard size PCB with a width of 98mm.
C)Graphics cards with different dimensions will not be compatible with this cooler. This includes:
D)The compatibility list is based on AMD Radeon and NVIDIA's reference board layout only. Please check the height restriction drawing before purchase.

E)Also, this cooler turns the user's gpu into a FIVE SLOT card, so you need to have space for this monster.

If the tooling of the cooler doesn't match that of the Waterforce Extreme PCB, you're boned.
And what if I underclock and undervolt?

Mar 30, 2020

I have a Corsair full tower 780t and i can put three more fans inside, will help?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
And what if I underclock and undervolt?
Dropping the power limits already does that for you.
If the power limits are dropped to their lowest, the card can't boost as high, and since it can't boost as high, it won't draw as much voltage.

I have a Corsair full tower 780t and i can put three more fans inside, will help?
You're welcome to try, but I see it as an effort in futility.
The current problem is the insufficient cooler mounted to the gpu, which can pull some 350w+ of power(max). At the lowest it's still going to pull 250w. Still too much for the Fatboy cooler.

Check out the Arctic Accelero Extreme 3 Rev. 2 cooler instead. It doesn't appear to have the reference compatibility issue the Extreme 4 does...
You're still going to have to cap the power limits though, as it's another 300w cooler.

You're really stuck between a rock and a hard place though. I now see the downsides of the pre-assembled gpu AIOs...

Mar 30, 2020
If the power limits are dropped to their lowest, the card can't boost as high, and since it can't boost as high, it won't draw as much voltage.

The current problem is the insufficient cooler mounted to the gpu, which can pull some 350w+ of power(max). At the lowest it's still going to pull 250w. Still too much for the Fatboy cooler.

Check out the Arctic Accelero Extreme 3 Rev. 2 cooler instead. It doesn't appear to have the reference compatibility issue the Extreme 4 does...
You're still going to have to cap the power limits though, as it's another 300w cooler.

You're really stuck between a rock and a hard place though. I now see the downsides of the pre-assembled gpu AIOs...
How should I underclock and undervolt, I saw a lot of videos on YouTube but maybe it's different for my Gpu.

Mar 30, 2020

And the main question, is 91 degree too much, or maybe if I undervolt and underclock will be a little bit lower maybe I'll rich 84.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How should I underclock, I saw a lot of videos on YouTube but maybe it's different for my Gpu.
Play around with the Core and Memory Clock sliders - that's the best I could tell you.

undervolt
You aren't allowed access to that.

And the main question, is 91 degree too much, or maybe if I undervolt and underclock will be a little bit lower maybe I'll reach 84.
Much to hot. Get it below 84C instead.