[SOLVED] What are the most practical, cheap cases?

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I'm looking for a bigger case. I don't really care about anything but cooling ability and USB support(ports) and things fitting.
It would need room for 1 optical drive, and 3 hard drives/solid state drives, so 4 bays total. A standard size ATX mobo, and a radeon r9 fury. I see cases with rgb support and glass and all that often, but am figuring I can get a more "plain" case that's just as functional for a lot less?

Solution
As per velocity's suggestion, go to pcpartpicker. You can choose how many drive bays and if you want to forgo the side panel, and from there choose one that isn't gaudy and matches your expectations.

could be something like this , or this .

generally, if you want a clear side panel, most cases will come with a led fan of some kind, you can remove it and replace with your own to tone down the tacky-ness.
Basically any case that meets your requirement. So that everything will fit and mount. When it comes down to it. They're just metal boxes with vents and mounting point. You could even make one with duct tape and cardboard.

Rosewill (I have one that has been in service for 15 years)
DIYPC
Thermaltake
Aerocool

Just go to PCPartpicker or Newegg and click the options to find a case which meets your requirements. Then double check the specs with the manufacturer. Just to verify everything is correct.

This DIYPC will likely work. Double check the specs.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811353061

Last edited:

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Basically any case that meets your requirement. So that everything will fit and mount. When it comes down to it. They're just metal boxes with vents and mounting point. You could even make one with duct tape and cardboard.

Rosewill (I have one that has been in service for 15 years)
DIYPC
Thermaltake
Aerocool

Just go to PCPartpicker or Newegg and click the options to find a case which meets your requirements. Then double check the specs with the manufacturer. Just to verify everything is correct.

This DIYPC will likely work. Double check the specs.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811353061
That's kinda why I'm here... this is the kind of case im not looking for. I'm wanting something more basic I guess. Don't need the LEDs and such. Like a 90s file server looking case, but with more modern amenities like ssd drive bays and top mounted usb ports and such. I don't even know if it's a thing anymore lol.

As per velocity's suggestion, go to pcpartpicker. You can choose how many drive bays and if you want to forgo the side panel, and from there choose one that isn't gaudy and matches your expectations.

could be something like this , or this .

generally, if you want a clear side panel, most cases will come with a led fan of some kind, you can remove it and replace with your own to tone down the tacky-ness.

Solution
Fractal Design Focus G, offers good airflow at an affordable price. USB3.0 port at the top of the case along with an AUX port and a USB 2.0 port. Comes with 2 fans with white leds but if it bothers you you can change them easily.

Something like this maybe.
  • Max GPU length - 420mm.
  • Max CPU cooler height - 165mm.
Corsair 200R Prices
Corsair Website - 200R

inline.jpg

Last edited: