[SOLVED] What are the one of the best GPU's for 1080p gaming?

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
My Build
Intel® Core™ i5-12400F Processor 18M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER VENTUS XS OC 6GB GDDR6 192 Bit GPU
Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Motherboard
4x8 Corsair Cmk16Gx4M2Z3600C18 DDR4 3600Mhz C18 Vengeance Lpx RAM
Sharkoon SS-COOLZERO-750 750W 80+ Gold Modular PSU
Cooler Master MB511 Case

I am struggling to get good fps on medium settings for some of the newer games like Starfield, Cities Skylines 2 or Hell let loose. So, I am looking for an upgrade. For the most part when I monitor while playing heavy games, I can see my GPU utilisation going up to 90-100% while CPU is usually running below 10%. Which tells me there is a bit of a GPU bottleneck on my system. Firstly, is this correct? What do you think?
And if that is the case, I am looking for a good and compatible GPU for my system to upgrade on to. Not looking for a high end GPU like RTX 4080, I do only game at 1080p so, feel like something like RTX 4060 can be good for this system. What do you people think? What is the highest I can go with this PSU and Motherboard too. I am kind a worried if this PSU will be enough to handle a more powerful GPU.

As I have mentioned, my aim is to go for something like RTX 4060. Is it a worthy upgrade? Will my other parts handle the new GPU?
Most importantly, what are the one of the best GPU's for 1080p gaming? Not aiming to go up to 4k or something, just laying around 1920x1080p old school, but still wanna get good FPS with good visuals for newer games with my system. And I feel like I can achieve it with a small upgrade on my GPU, but want you guys opinions.
Thanks!

Solution
To be fair, it has a lot to do with what framerate you are expecting, and whether you want to utilize things like Ray Tracing and such.

A GTX 1080 or the ti variant are still VERY strong for 1080P gaming. No RT
A step up from that would be the 3070 which is also very good for 1080/120+ FPS. Mediocre to middling RT performance.
The 7800 XT is probably overkill for 1080, but does really well for 1440. It sort of sucks for ray tracing though.

If the 4060 is in your price point and PSU capability I don't think it is a 'bad' choice but being honest if you don't care about RT then get a 77/7800 XT IMO. Great bang for the buck.

Lutfij

Titan
This should be a good article to read through;
He used to write articles for the site.

What OS are you working with?! I'd try and use DUD and remove all GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

BIOS version for your motherboard?

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
This should be a good article to read through;
He used to write articles for the site.

What OS are you working with?! I'd try and use DUD and remove all GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

BIOS version for your motherboard?
I am on Windows 11 Pro. I didn't get the part with 'DUD', don't really know what it is honestly, so sorry about that. And for the BIOS version, I couldn't check it yet, but I have flashed my MOBO around a year ago so it is likely quite up to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Order 66

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
I am on Windows 11 Pro. I didn't get the part with 'DUD', don't really know what it is honestly, so sorry about that. And for the BIOS version, I couldn't check it yet, but I have flashed my MOBO around a year ago so it is likely quite up to date.
They meant DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller. It's useful when you're having issues potentially related to graphics drivers. Download DDU, read a guide or watch a quick video, restart in safe mode, run it, then reinstall the latest drivers for your card.

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
They meant DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller. It's useful when you're having issues potentially related to graphics drivers. Download DDU, read a guide or watch a quick video, restart in safe mode, run it, then reinstall the latest drivers for your card.
Oh okay, well. I do not have any problems related with my GPU, I am just looking for an upgrade and wanted to ask if that makes sense with the rest of my parts.

You should check to see what your DRAM is actually running at with CPU-Z. It's definitely not going to be doing 3600 so I'm guessing it is some sort of system default.

The other poster meant DDU

A faster GPU would help in some things for sure, but honestly the current generation cards are a poor value proposition unless heavily discounted. Generally speaking the best deals on the market in new video cards are going to be the A750 or RX 6600/6650 XT. Personally I think waiting until next year to see what the refreshes and potentially Intel bring would be a better choice (or scouring deals and hoping for the best as a 4060 for around $230 would probably be a great buy).

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
To be fair, it has a lot to do with what framerate you are expecting, and whether you want to utilize things like Ray Tracing and such.

A step up from that would be the 3070 which is also very good for 1080/120+ FPS. Mediocre to middling RT performance.
The 7800 XT is probably overkill for 1080, but does really well for 1440. It sort of sucks for ray tracing though.

If the 4060 is in your price point and PSU capability I don't think it is a 'bad' choice but being honest if you don't care about RT then get a 77/7800 XT IMO. Great bang for the buck.

Solution

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023

Given mesh shaders are likely going to get more and more common I wouldn't recommend the 1080 unless nothing else will fit in budget at this point.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I don't disagree with that given the age of the 1080. If budget allows then a 6 or 7 series RX card make far more sense.
since the OP didn't give a budget, I would agree that a 6 or 7 series RX would make the most sense. I would probably go for a 7800xt, but honestly I think even a 6800xt is overkill for 1080p. do you think it would be worth it for the OP to spend more for the 7800xt vs the 6800xt?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
There are subtle differences between the two cards, and they ultimately are very close in performance. IMO, go with the value option between them.

For full disclosure, I am currently using a 7800 XT on my main rig and have been quite happy with the performance in most titles. The 3070 has better RT performance though. This said when the monitor I am using is both G-sync as well as FreeSync, so monitor issues didn't come into play in regard to stuck with V-sync.

Honestly, I would recommend an RX 6700 XT for you because at 1080p it gives a really high frame rate (it's 12% faster than the RTX 4060), you can upgrade to 1440p and still use it and its 12GB VRAM buffer will last a very long time at 1080p. It's also priced fantastically right now and so I'd take advantage of its great value while you still can if I were you:
ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D 12GB - $310 at Newegg