What are the possible causes of new build shutdown instantly on power on?

Feb 20, 2018
I am an experienced amateur system builder, but am stuck on the latest failure to power on. The lights flash, fans stir and then PSU clicks, all in under a 1/4 second. I have checked for any short and cannot see any, but am aware that the plastic CPU cooler bracket straddles several pins on the back of the MB.

As this is happening so quickly, is it reasonable to assume it is more likely to be an electrical short, as it is way before I would expect any BIOS function would kick in? Is there any other way the MB or CPU could kick out a response which would shut down the PSU so quickly?

I have changed the PSU to test for failure, with exactly the same result. I don't want to start randomly taking things out.

In testing for this kind of boot failure, do I need more than a PSU, MB, CPU & cooler, RAM? No HDD, keyboard, mouse, screen. Or will the lack of peripherals cause a boot error? If the beast reaches BIOS, I'll just switch it off again and finish the build.

System is:

i-7 7700k with Corsair H90 cooler
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
2x16Gb Ballistix
Samsung 500Gb NVMe
SSD's
HD's
Internal Graphics at the moment
EVGA 750wG2 & Corsair CX650w
Corsair 350D case

Thanks for any input

Solution
Yes Intel did not do a good job this time on their sockets in the past all processors that had the same socket number as the motherboard would work.
Well, it's still best way to discount any problems with component mounting,, it wouldn't be first time somethings wrong with case and it's backplate or standoffs. I have seen them bend MB for instance or tricky setting of RFI shield at back I/O panel.

Feb 20, 2018
Just back from a holiday and about to breadboard the beast.

Funny question, but if I am only trying to reach a BIOS load screen to prove the system boots, am I going to melt the processor if I run it without my H90i w/cooler? It would be just another thing I wouln't have to dismantle and reconnect, if the aforementioned is doable without risking an immediate power-on meltdown.

I would expect the rig to be running for less than 10 seconds before I pull plug.

Feb 20, 2018

Nice spot, but a bummer.

Looks like I will have to get a Gigabyte GA-H270M-D3H m/b and save the Z370 board for an upgrade for my old i5-3570 system.