[SOLVED] What are the possible information that a site can obtain from my visit?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hi I am not a network geek, nor a computer geek..
I have a general and conceptual question, that is
When I visit a website, what are the possible information that they can technically obtain from my visit?
What I know is

1.my IP address (approximate location). A friend of mine said we actually have two IP address on one PC,
but I am confused.
2.my hardware configuration (how details?)
3.the version of my operating system (how details?)
4.Cookie but it is actually only my activity and logs to the site right?
5.IMEI and permissions granted (In case of a mobile device)
Is there anything I am missing or not accurate??

Is there anything I am missing or not accurate??

Solution
1. Your public IP address. That is sort of like your physical house address. The site must know that, to deliver something back to you. Like the mailman delivering some package to your house.
After that, your internal address, defined by your router. The website generally does not know this.

2. Hardware config. A LOT of info is passed via the browser User Agent.
That can tell it - what browser, OS, desktop or 'mobile',

3. OS - See #2

4. Cookie - a unique ID that the site uses to deliver content specific to you.

5. IMEI - yes.

USAFRet

Titan
1. Your public IP address. That is sort of like your physical house address. The site must know that, to deliver something back to you. Like the mailman delivering some package to your house.
After that, your internal address, defined by your router. The website generally does not know this.

2. Hardware config. A LOT of info is passed via the browser User Agent.
That can tell it - what browser, OS, desktop or 'mobile',

3. OS - See #2

4. Cookie - a unique ID that the site uses to deliver content specific to you.

5. IMEI - yes.

Reactions: brannsiu
Solution
Before everything got encrypted I used to tell people to run wireshark and watch how much information the browsers give out. Some actually will give out the resolution of your monitor.

There were/are programs that strip this off or spoof it. I have not used these in a very long time I would assume they have to run as a extension of the web browser so they can manipulate the data before it is encrypted. I used to manipulate this with a firewall just to see what was different between OS on web sites. That method is no longer a option though.

Reactions: brannsiu

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Otherwise than my public IP and "internal" IP address, anything else which is identifying?

I think computer configuration and version of your operating system is nothing personal, I am wondering if cookie will contain any identifying information or only
the activity you have done in the site.

IMEI is definitely identifying.