[SOLVED] What are the possible reasons my USB ports aren't providing enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
When I start up Windows, I get a notification that my USB ports are not supplying enough power.

CPU - 6700k - not overclocked
GPU - GTX 1080 - not overclocked
RAM - G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB
PSU - Corsair 550W 80 Gold Certified
MOBO - Z-170X-Gaming 7

Some of my USB ports do not work. Others that do work disconnect their respective device randomly. I requested to rma the mobo and I was approved but before I send it back, I want to make sure all my t's are crossed and i's dotted.

Last edited:
Solution
Check all ports for bent contacts (should be the first thing done, before any other troubleshooting). Anything not perfectly straight is a strong candidate for shorting against something it shouldn't.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What is giving you that error?

Those connectors are for hooking up and front Panel USB ports your PC case might have. You only need to connect as many as your case has USB header connectors. Even if you didn't connect either of them, the only thing that would happen is the front panel USB ports wouldn't work.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
What is giving you that error?

Those connectors are for hooking up and front Panel USB ports your PC case might have. You only need to connect as many as your case has USB header connectors. Even if you didn't connect either of them, the only thing that would happen is the front panel USB ports wouldn't work.
When I start up windows 10, it gives me that notification.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Which USB ports aren't working/randomly disconnect? Rear panel or front panel?

Rear panel. It can be extremely annoying in FPS. 1v1 situation in CS GO and then mouse goes out but comes back 3-5 seconds later. This happens intermittently. Also, my headset will randomly stop working as well. It is not just limited to my mouse, any USB peripheral will disconnect/reconnect at some point.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
You installed the motherboard using the supplied standoffs, yes? You didn't drop any screws or other metallic objects into your case while building?

Edit: Do you get that error even if nothing is connected to any of the ports?

I did use the supplied standoffs, yes. If nothing was connected to the ports, I did not receive that warning.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Well it can be the Mobo or it could be one of your USB accessory right, so I assume you have connected one USB accessory at a time to test.

There are useful gadget like THIS u can use to make sure your USB accessory is not drawing too much power.

Yes I have tested. My usbs were all working for the first time when I had the computer on it's side. As soon as I lifted it upright, some of them failed and I got the power surge warning.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I did use the supplied standoffs, yes. If nothing was connected to the ports, I did not receive that warning.
Can you isolate it down to a specific port that, if something is inserted, will cause the error? Or does it seem that having a device plugged into any port causes the error?

Does it matter which device is plugged in? Do the devices you're using work without error on a difference PC?

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Can you isolate it down to a specific port that, if something is inserted, will cause the error? Or does it seem that having a device plugged into any port causes the error?

Does it matter which device is plugged in? Do the devices you're using work without error on a difference PC?

I am trying but it seems to happen at random. This is super frustrating. I'm probably going to RMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.