[SOLVED] What are the requirements for light video editing?

swanepoellukas5

Commendable
Jan 4, 2018
I'm saving to upgrade my rig to be able to do some relatively light video editing. Mainly just at 1080p and some basic things, like cutting and adding parts to the video and being able to do voice overs(If you've ever watched a letsplay video, you have a pretty good idea of what I'm going for). I'm on a pretty tight budget, and I was wondering if I could get away with 8gb of ram and a Ryzen 5 1600. Yeah, I know, the 3600 is out and it's a beast, but I'm going to have to save alot longer if I want to squeeze it in. I already have a M.2 ssd, and I plan on getting an extra two 4gb RAM sticks, but would you say saving for the 3600 is worth it for my needs?

I video edit 1080p on a Ryzen R7 1700 with 16gb of memory and I use almost all of the memory via Adobe Premiere Elements. The performance difference going from 8gb to 16gb is significant and i'd advice going with a 2 x 8gb kit, as RAM prices are half of what they used to be a couple years ago. Now's the time to purchase as those prices could go back up.