[SOLVED] What Are The Risks Of Flashing GPU VBIOS?

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hey, i think my Sapphire HD 7870 GHZ Edition Dual-x has died. Whenever i install driver for it PC would crash after restart( gives black screen after Windows 7 logo) Unfortunately i don't have the chance to test it in another PC. Anyway, as a last resort i decided to flash/update my GPU VBIOS. I know if something goes wrong i can for sure brick my GPU, but what i want to know is : can i damage/kill other components of the PC if GPU becomes bricked? What are risks other than bricking my GPU for ever?

Note: I have Intel Integrated graphics. I Contacted Sapphire support directly and asked them to provide latest VBIOS for my GPU.I know Techpowerup has vbios collection, but i don't want to risk and get wrong bios ( i got 2 final results with same everything, except for clocks, so i don't know which one is for me)

All i care is well being of my system , i don't want to risk their safety because of GPU BIOS flash, i will get new GPU and RAM soon, so i want my PC components to work. Am i worrying for nothing?

Solution
Are you getting the drivers from AMDs download page?
If so, have your checked your drive for errors?
If you found errors, have you performed a clean install of Windows?

Trying to update the VBIOS is likely an exercise in futility, but it should not pose any harm to any of your other components.

-Wolf sends
D

Deleted member 14196

If the card does not work don’t bother with the bios. In fact don’t ever bother with the BIOS unless you were instructed to do so

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
If the card does not work don’t bother with the bios. In fact don’t ever bother with the BIOS unless you were instructed to do so
Thanks for replying, i wasn't told or instructed to mess with GPU BIOS. i decided this on my own. I see you don't recommend flashing VBIOS, but can you state reasons for that? If it can only damage my GPU I'm OK with that,unless i andanger other components of the PC

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Are you getting the drivers from AMDs download page?
If so, have your checked your drive for errors?
If you found errors, have you performed a clean install of Windows?

Trying to update the VBIOS is likely an exercise in futility, but it should not pose any harm to any of your other components.

-Wolf sends
Thank you for answering, Yes i have done those and numerous other "solutions" ( including using windows system restore point and changing thermal paste for GPU (Card served well for the past 7 years). I have used drivers from AMD and older ones from Guru3d, it's a know issue and nobody seems to know what exactly is the cause. I have researched internet on this topic and read a lot of articles/forums ( Not even worth to list and mention anything, it goes very deep). Anyways, it's most likely that GPU is dead or something is causing it's hardware not to function properly and fail. I am worried for my PC components not to be damaged from flashing VBIOS, you are giving me green light, but i'll wait to see more replies and reasearch more about this topic on my own before trying

D

Deleted member 14196

it shouldn't hurt but as mentioned, it's most likely not going to "fix" anything. I bet, if it isn't the card that it's your windows installation that is the problem.

I would clean install windows 10 and see if it works out of the box.

Reactions: Bach0