Question What are the safe temperatures while gaming of the Core i5 9300H?

Dec 29, 2019
I just bought a gaming laptop, MSI GL65 SC. I am worried because I feel temperatures are quite high. But I don't know if it is normal.
I some moments CPU temperatures have reached 95 and 96° C. However, it doesn't stay like that a long time. Temperatures used to be around 75-89, it depends on the game. But it is not uncommon on the laptop to reach over 90.
Should I be worried?
But the most weird thing is that the fans don't sound like working at very high speed, only over 90 they sound a bit louder. It is like the manufacturer don't mind the heat but it minds the noise.

Gaming laptops are notorious for running at high temps. Is that safe? Well,.. for now. What about in 3-5 years?.. You may see some hardware failures. Condensing gaming hardware into the small space of a laptop is not ideal because there is little cooling available. People have looked to replacing the stock thermal paste on their CPU and GPU with liquid metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) and it had dramtically lowered their temps; however, that is a risky procedure and could kill your hardware. Other less invasive options are buying a cooling pad for your laptop. A less desirable option is to limit the power of the CPU in Windows settings.

For longevity long-term, try to keep it below 80C. That's near impossible with a gaming laptop, and that's why gaming laptops are not ideal for gaming. They cost more, have lower performance, and don't last as long.

Dec 29, 2019
Thanks for your answer. I perfectly understand what you are saying. So for you that temperatures are quite normal on gaming laptops, right? It is like almost impossible to have temperatures lower than that.
I am gonna try to modify fans speeds.
Maybe that would help a little bit.

Thanks for your answer. I perfectly understand what you are saying. So for you that temperatures are quite normal on gaming laptops, right? It is like almost impossible to have temperatures lower than that.
I am gonna try to modify fans speeds.
Maybe that would help a little bit.
Your temps do seem higher than usual, but I don't know what's usual for that particular laptop.