[SOLVED] What are the TB Written endurance for the 970 Evo 1tb Gen 3 and the MP600 1tb Gen 4

Oct 7, 2019
I've asked them directly and even searched around and I cant fine ONE list where they list the tb written endurance for EACH Capacity.

If anyone could answer this that would be sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solution
Ahhhh alrit on a per use as well as sale basis. Interesting.

Hmm I'd love to know how u used macrium reflect to auto backup your drives each time. I mean I'd love to have that but having HDDs on 24/7 or even just when your using your PC wears them out incredibly quick.

Hence why for my setup I have 4 8tb drives in raid 6 sadly there using the windows drive raid. Because I just couldn't figure out how to use other softwares. And Linux is not an option yet.
The PC's are on 24/7. All SSD>
The NAS box is on 24/7. All HDD.

Every night between midnight and 6AM, the individual drives run a Full or Incremental backup to the NAS.
Weekly, the NAS backs up to an external enclosure.
All automated on a schedule.

Last December, I had to...
Oct 7, 2019
as a point of comparison in typical Win10 usage, I've written but 20 TB in 2 years...just to put 600 TBW in perspective...(Obviously, the 5 years will come long before the 600 TB will)

Good point thxs for perspective. But I don't know having the sure Ness of a much higher TBW endurance since like u said the 5 yrs will likely come sooner then it dieing from over writing.

So for me it seems pretty obvious to get as high TBW as u can afford. But if u can't afford the better one then your perspective of even 600 TBW being enough gives enough reason to be fine with it.

Appreciate the reply helped a ton

Oct 7, 2019
And for other context, my system has 7x SSD's in it (listed below). Some of them going back to 2014.
All 7 combined just barely break 50TBW.

So what brand do u think is worth it more then. For me I've loved Corsair cause they honor warranties pretty well.

But Samsung has the best software for managing your drive. Allowing to be easily cloned and bunch more.

U have any software tools to for instance measure TBW and other really technical details for any drive not just for your brands drive?

Haven't really found any

USAFRet

Titan
For cloning, I use either Macrium Reflect, or if a Samsung target drive, the Samsung Data Migration.
I've had good success with both.

What drives?
SATA:
Samsung 8XX
Crucial MX500
SanDisk Ultra3d
(I have 1 or more of each)

NVMe:
Intel 660p
Samsung 970
(I have the Intel)

Software to read the TBW?
What might come from the individual manufacturer, or CrystalDiskInfo.

Oct 7, 2019
For cloning, I use either Macrium Reflect, or if a Samsung target drive, the Samsung Data Migration.
I've had good success with both.

What drives?
SATA:
Samsung 8XX
Crucial MX500
SanDisk Ultra3d
(I have 1 or more of each)

NVMe:
Intel 660p
Samsung 970
(I have the Intel)

Software to read the TBW?
What might come from the individual manufacturer, or CrystalDiskInfo.

Crystaldiskinfo works perfectly thxs didn't realize the total host writes was the TBW data so sick.

D*mn u have a lot of random drives. Is there any reason. Did u just buy what was on sale or what u could afford. Hence the randomness.

Or did u do it so if a drive fails if it was a problem with that companies skew u would be safe. Hence diff brands. That's what we do with HDDs so we don't lose them all at once. Curious your reason why.

USAFRet

Titan
The drives came into being over the years, generally when they were on sale. Basically, each has its own dedicated use.
1 for the OS and applications, 1 for photo work, 1 for CAD/video, etc, etc.

For backups, my NAS box full of spinning drives.

Oct 7, 2019
The drives came into being over the years, generally when they were on sale. Basically, each has its own dedicated use.
1 for the OS and applications, 1 for photo work, 1 for CAD/video, etc, etc.

For backups, my NAS box full of spinning drives.

Hmm I'd love to know how u used macrium reflect to auto backup your drives each time. I mean I'd love to have that but having HDDs on 24/7 or even just when your using your PC wears them out incredibly quick.

Hence why for my setup I have 4 8tb drives in raid 6 sadly there using the windows drive raid. Because I just couldn't figure out how to use other softwares. And Linux is not an option yet.

So all I do is put the 4 drives in one drive bay and plug it in every so often to cycle over my new fes to the long term archive.

On top of that I also have a whole system in place that tiers my storage. From EVERYTHING being on my archive HDDs to there being a copy of my most important files on every drive even my USB drives.

As well as having the very important files printed out put in a safety deposit box as well as an on sight safe.

My solution isn't perfect of course. But I would like to figure out how I can automate the fact I like to use a DAS (Dirwct attached storage) not a NAS aka networked attached. I like the idea of having my drives last long due to only plugging them in when needed.

For instance is there a way to set up a rim reflect so when I plug in my set of 4 drives as well as my other backup drives that I can set it to do what it needs to automaticly and leave it over nit?? Perhaps that's a work around. Anyway would love your input on what u could do.

Thxs

USAFRet

Titan

The PC's are on 24/7. All SSD>
The NAS box is on 24/7. All HDD.

Every night between midnight and 6AM, the individual drives run a Full or Incremental backup to the NAS.
Weekly, the NAS backs up to an external enclosure.
All automated on a schedule.

Last December, I had to put this whole procedure into play, when one of my SSD's died suddenly.
960GB SanDisk...poof, dead. 605GB data on it.
Why was it dead? Don't know, and more importantly..mostly don't care. It's dead.

Slot in a new drive, click click in Macrium....all 605GB recovered, exactly as it was at 4AM that morning when the nightly Incremental ran for that drive.

The whole procedure and NAS box justified its cost with that one recovery.

Solution
"but having HDDs on 24/7 or even just when your using your PC wears them out incredibly quick. "

It doesn't, really, it's the actual writes and reads over time which causes wear, and powering-up and down, vice simply spinning up but doing almost nothing...

I've seen a few WD Blue drives still working fine with 26,500 hours on them, the equivalent of 3 years of 24/7 operation, or 9 years of 8 hours per day use...and as WD Blues are not really known for being bastions of durability, seeing them still work with even 26000+ hours impressed me.

In 'tests to destruction' a few years back involving hundreds of TB written, the Samsungs seem to last the longest. Conversely, Intel seems to have adopted an attitude where once you used 'X' amount of writes, the drive simply stops working, regardless of actual failure, a rather assinine feature of their software and firmware...but I'm not sure that still applies to their newer SSDs...