What are these Directories???

Ed

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
1,253
0
19,280
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I am running XPHome SP1 which was upgraded to SP2 by downloading and
applying the 266 meg file “Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT
Professionals and Developers”. I keep my HD clean by doing many house
cleaning routines including running Doug Knox’s
xp_remove_hotfix_backup.exe which removes the installation files
left over from doing MS Critical and Suggested Updates (after running
the fixes/updates for a few days to make sure they don’t need to be
uninstalled).

However, I have ended up with three directories under my Windows
directory that Doug Knox’s utility does not see. They are Read-Only,
Hidden & Compressed directories:
$hf_mig$ containing 26 directories named KBxxxxxx
$MSI31Uninstall_KB893803$ containing 1 directory and 108 files
$MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$ containing 1 directory and 114 files

I also have one Mammoth directory under my Windows directory called:
ServicePackFiles\i386 containing 1 directory and 2122 files

I don’t really need the HD space but like I said, I like to keep a
clean ship and besides, when doing a Ghost backup to DVD’s, these 4
directories takes an additional DVD to get the whole HD backed up.

Questions are:
1. What is each one of these directories purpose?
2. Is the ServicePackFiles\i386 directory where that 266 meg SP2 file
unpacked itself to before it installed SP2?
3. Can they and their contents be deleted?

Thanks in Advance,
Ed
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Ed;
You should keep "$hf_mig$", there is an explanation what it is near the
middle of this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=824994

The two items with uninstall in them are uninstall files and can be safely
deleted even if Doug's tip does not:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

Step 6 on the above link briefly explains why you should keep
"ServicePackFiles"

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
news:eek:orrb19rachrbbqq4b6k5p7cccasg5j282@4ax.com...
>I am running XPHome SP1 which was upgraded to SP2 by downloading and
> applying the 266 meg file "Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT
> Professionals and Developers". I keep my HD clean by doing many house
> cleaning routines including running Doug Knox's
> xp_remove_hotfix_backup.exe which removes the installation files
> left over from doing MS Critical and Suggested Updates (after running
> the fixes/updates for a few days to make sure they don't need to be
> uninstalled).
>
> However, I have ended up with three directories under my Windows
> directory that Doug Knox's utility does not see. They are Read-Only,
> Hidden & Compressed directories:
> $hf_mig$ containing 26 directories named KBxxxxxx
> $MSI31Uninstall_KB893803$ containing 1 directory and 108 files
> $MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$ containing 1 directory and 114 files
>
> I also have one Mammoth directory under my Windows directory called:
> ServicePackFiles\i386 containing 1 directory and 2122 files
>
> I don't really need the HD space but like I said, I like to keep a
> clean ship and besides, when doing a Ghost backup to DVD's, these 4
> directories takes an additional DVD to get the whole HD backed up.
>
> Questions are:
> 1. What is each one of these directories purpose?
> 2. Is the ServicePackFiles\i386 directory where that 266 meg SP2 file
> unpacked itself to before it installed SP2?
> 3. Can they and their contents be deleted?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Ed
 

Ed

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
1,253
0
19,280
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 01:56:25 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
<jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

>Step 6 on the above link briefly explains why you should keep
>"ServicePackFiles"

Thanks for the info. I deleted the two $MSI31Uninstall_KBxxxxxx$
folders and everything seems to be running fine.

Question on that ServicePackFiles folder though.... I notice that it
is on only one of my two computers. Both are XPHome/SP2 machines.

The only difference (OS wise) between the two machines is how they
were brought up to SP2. The machine that has the ServicePackFiles
folder was upgraded using the 266 meg “Windows XP Service Pack 2 for
IT Professionals and Developers” file. The computer that doesn't have
the ServicePackFiles folder was brought up to SP2 by doing a complete
restoration using an SP2 slipstreamed copy of that machine's original
SP1 OS installation CD.

Is that the difference.... Upgrading to SP2 creates the
ServicePackFiles folder while doing a fresh new install of XP-SP2 does
not create the ServicePackFiles folder?

Thanks,
ED
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Ed;
You got it.
That is exactly the reason why one has them and the other does not.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
news:17oub11o37nlpuhciufjqi06k3d9k3u0qm@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 01:56:25 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
> <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
>
>>Step 6 on the above link briefly explains why you should keep
>>"ServicePackFiles"
>
> Thanks for the info. I deleted the two $MSI31Uninstall_KBxxxxxx$
> folders and everything seems to be running fine.
>
> Question on that ServicePackFiles folder though.... I notice that it
> is on only one of my two computers. Both are XPHome/SP2 machines.
>
> The only difference (OS wise) between the two machines is how they
> were brought up to SP2. The machine that has the ServicePackFiles
> folder was upgraded using the 266 meg "Windows XP Service Pack 2 for
> IT Professionals and Developers" file. The computer that doesn't have
> the ServicePackFiles folder was brought up to SP2 by doing a complete
> restoration using an SP2 slipstreamed copy of that machine's original
> SP1 OS installation CD.
>
> Is that the difference.... Upgrading to SP2 creates the
> ServicePackFiles folder while doing a fresh new install of XP-SP2 does
> not create the ServicePackFiles folder?
>
> Thanks,
> ED
 

Ed

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
1,253
0
19,280
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 02:46:46 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
<jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

>You got it. That is exactly the reason why one has them and the
>other does not.

Okay, now lets go one more step, if you please. Step 6 that you
referred me to concerning the reason for not deleting the
ServicePackFiles folder states: “That file (folder) may be needed if
you have problems later and sometimes for hardware installations”.

Okay, I can see that. I can also assume that since the machine that
doesn’t have this folder on it, the one that has the slipstreamed OS
CD which was used for a full new install of XP-SP2, the
ServicePackFiles folder is not needed since you would use the
slipstreamed CD in case of any “problems later and sometimes for
hardware installations”, right?

If this is so…. What if the OS CD for the machine that has the
ServicePackFiles folder on it has been slipstreamed with SP2 since
that machine was updated with the 266 Meg SP2 file… Would that
slipstreamed CD now count as a viable source that can be used in case
of any “problems later and sometimes for hardware installations” thus
negating the need for that ServicePackFiles folder on that machine and
thus be okay to delete that folder now?

Thanks again for your time and expertise,
Ed
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Ed;
The slipstreamed CD should work but I have not tested it that way.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
news:j5e0c11j7tc7q7s8st48m2vb1qth9o37sn@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 02:46:46 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
> <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
>
>>You got it. That is exactly the reason why one has them and the
>>other does not.
>
> Okay, now lets go one more step, if you please. Step 6 that you
> referred me to concerning the reason for not deleting the
> ServicePackFiles folder states: "That file (folder) may be needed if
> you have problems later and sometimes for hardware installations".
>
> Okay, I can see that. I can also assume that since the machine that
> doesn't have this folder on it, the one that has the slipstreamed OS
> CD which was used for a full new install of XP-SP2, the
> ServicePackFiles folder is not needed since you would use the
> slipstreamed CD in case of any "problems later and sometimes for
> hardware installations", right?
>
> If this is so.. What if the OS CD for the machine that has the
> ServicePackFiles folder on it has been slipstreamed with SP2 since
> that machine was updated with the 266 Meg SP2 file. Would that
> slipstreamed CD now count as a viable source that can be used in case
> of any "problems later and sometimes for hardware installations" thus
> negating the need for that ServicePackFiles folder on that machine and
> thus be okay to delete that folder now?
>
> Thanks again for your time and expertise,
> Ed
>
 

Ed

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
1,253
0
19,280
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:37:01 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
<jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

>The slipstreamed CD should work but I have not tested it that way.

Then I think I will go on and delete that ServicePackFiles folder. If
something goes south and I need stuff that was in the ServicePackFiles
folder I will see what happens if I point toward the slipstreamed OS
disk. If that does not work, I can always do a fresh new installation
which I usually do once a year to my computers anyway.

Thanks a bunch for the time you have spent with me on this. I really
appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Ed