[SOLVED] What are Windows insider users thoughts on it, is it recommendable?

Oct 28, 2018
Is it a viable option as a primary OS on your primary ? If yes what is better slow or fast? Can you get it for free on a new pc? Is it worth it?

Solution

Primary OS?
No. It is for previewing whatever is coming next regarding Win 10. Frequently, problems happen.
You get whatever is pushed.

Free? Not any more.
Used to be, but now the Insider Program requires you to already have a valid Win 10 license.

You can install and run the regular Win 10, and leave it unactivated, accepting the minor restrictions. $0.
Until you feel such time as you wish to pay for it.

USAFRet

Titan

Primary OS?
No. It is for previewing whatever is coming next regarding Win 10. Frequently, problems happen.
You get whatever is pushed.

Free? Not any more.
Used to be, but now the Insider Program requires you to already have a valid Win 10 license.

You can install and run the regular Win 10, and leave it unactivated, accepting the minor restrictions. $0.
Until you feel such time as you wish to pay for it.

Solution

Dugimodo

Distinguished
The techs I know of install it in VMs to get a jump on what's coming so they are prepared when those features go live. They also do it out of interest.
Personally I did sign up and use the insider program for free on a spare machine for about 6 months when you could still do that but even if you could still do it I couldn't recommend it. When the PC graduated from casual experiment to full time PC for my nephew I installed a full copy of windows 10 and removed the insider preview.

It's buggy and unstable and that's to be expected, not really suitable for your main PC at all and as USAFRet pointed out you can just use windows without activating it if you want to anyway.

I've been running insider versions even on my main machine since the beginning and in some cases it's been better than normal versions as bugs have been fixed in them before they would be in normal builds. Right now on Skip ahead, fast ring 1809 and none of problems that were on regular version they have pulled back and paused because of problems. Occasional bug is related to just new features (some call them bugs) only.