What are you thinking of my very first pc?

Ruubje99

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
What are you thinking of my very first pc?
specs:
CPU: AMD FX6300
Motherboard: ASrock 960​gm U3/S3 F​X
Memory: Crucial Ba​llistix 8g​b (2x4gb)
Storage: Seagate ba​rracuda 1t​b
Video Card: Club 3D ra​deon hd795​0
Case: Sharkoon v​g4-w red
Power Supply: Corsair P​SU Builder​ VS650
Software: windows 8

Solution

FX-6300 is usually still mildly good for most games right now. Enough for your hd795​0 anyway.
Med or high settings is gpu business. Many AAA 2015 games hd795​0 will do high settings no problem.

Games @high/ultra settings usually stress the gpu. This is actually good for a weak cpu.
Near future you will see games that will force you go...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Its very similar to mine. Not the greatest rig in the world but it gets the job done, dont expect to play at max settings 1080p 60fps in the latest games. But its still a very viable gaming machine, the cpu is whats going to hold you back a bit im currently saving up for a switch to intel myself.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Just make sure you upgrade to 8.1 its free 8 is not supported with updates anymore. 8.1 is not a bad OS its just the start menu is very annoying for keyboard and mouse. I used to use classic shell or start is back which makes it look and feel just like win 7.

Ruubje99

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

i'm not expecting that. Can it run bf4 on 50-60 fps on high settings.
One day I will upgrade it to an intel as well.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

It will do better than that in bf4. BF4 is an example of a game that is multi-threaded very well, it makes good use of AMD FX CPU's. With my 760 which is weaker and has less VRAM than your 7950 I am able to play on mostly ultra settings a few turned to high, and FXAA 1080p locked at 60fps with no dips at all. I would imagine you will be able to run it at almost entirely ultra settings with maybe 2x msaa if you want since you have the extra VRAM, if I use msaa it pushes over my 2gb of vram then i start taking some performance hits but you shouldn't have this issue with 3gb.

No point in get a AMD cpu right now if you wont overclock. This motherboard is bad for that.

imho you should get a good motherboard or just go Intel Haswell i3: Same price. Same performance worst case cenario. Sometimes more performance. Really good upgrade path.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I agree. But I was assuming he already bought it.

Oh... So great build mate. :D

Ruubje99

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

Ruubje99

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

I couldn' t find an i3 at the price I payed for the fx-6300. Otherwise I would have chosen for i3. Only I did not know that this board was bad for overclocking. How bad is it?

Ruubje99

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

Okay, thanks for this site btw. Luckily I know this know. Otherwise I would have fried my motherboard. I'll just keep this build for two or three years and then go to intel. Do you think it will be able to last two or three years if I'm happy with medium settings at most games (at the end).

Mrcrazed

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Pretty much everything about it, it's basically modern day vista. If you can get it for free, just install it and use the free windows 10 upgrade.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I think 8.1 is fine as far as windows operating systems go(nobody should be using 8 its not supported anymore), Its the UI thats terrible but that can easily be resolved with a program like classic shell or start is back. But yeah you can upgrade to 10 if you dont like it, but that comes with its pitfalls as well.

FX-6300 is usually still mildly good for most games right now. Enough for your hd795​0 anyway.
Med or high settings is gpu business. Many AAA 2015 games hd795​0 will do high settings no problem.

Games @high/ultra settings usually stress the gpu. This is actually good for a weak cpu.
Near future you will see games that will force you go med settings setup. Those games will think your gpu is weak for high/ultra settings.
This is usually a problem for the fx-6300 because you will see 100% use in the weak cores. Sometimes this may ruin gameplay. Hopefullly you wont see that with the games you will chose to play.

Solution