[SOLVED] What are your opinions of the EVGA GeForce GT 1030 SC GPU for conducting and editing video interviews?

bretbernhoft

Prominent
Jan 18, 2022
wherebret.com
I currently have a PC without a GPU, which seems to be increasingly common these days. But I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a EVGA GeForce GT 1030 SC GPU for a good price. And now I'm interested in installing and using it for a series of YouTube interviews that I'm putting together. That said, what are your opinions of this GPU for the purposes of conducting and editing hour-long video interviews? Is this GPU powerful enough to bother installing it into my PC for this purpose?

Solution
You don't need a dedicated/discrete GPU for video editing. It relies heavily on the CPU, and your i5-10600K will be just fine.

That said, you might see faster render times if you enable GPU support in the video editing software, AND if the software supports Nvidia graphics. The improvement over your i5-10600K's integrated UHD 630 would maybe 2x faster compute performance. However, 2x faster than not much is still not much considering just up the road in graphics is 5x faster (such as an RX 6500XT), and then again the 6600XT is twice as fast as the 6500XT.

Lutfij

Titan
That kind of depends on what you have to work with. What sort of app's are you going to have taxing the system? As for your specs to the system, please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

The GT1030 is designed more of a stop gap for system's that need display out. it's not essentially a card that you can tax and get favorable results out of.

bretbernhoft

Prominent
Jan 18, 2022
wherebret.com
CPU: Intel 10600K i5 CPU
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z490-P
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz
SSD/HDD: 240 GB SSD and 2x 1TB HDDs
GPU: 1030 GeForce GPU
PSU: Corsair VS Series VS500 80 PLUS PSU
Chassis: Phanteks Eclipse P300A
Monitor: 27 inch ViewSonic 1080p and 32 inch ViewSonic 1080p monitors

You don't need a dedicated/discrete GPU for video editing. It relies heavily on the CPU, and your i5-10600K will be just fine.

That said, you might see faster render times if you enable GPU support in the video editing software, AND if the software supports Nvidia graphics. The improvement over your i5-10600K's integrated UHD 630 would maybe 2x faster compute performance. However, 2x faster than not much is still not much considering just up the road in graphics is 5x faster (such as an RX 6500XT), and then again the 6600XT is twice as fast as the 6500XT.

Solution