[SOLVED] What are your thoughts about this AMD build?

DCtx88

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
I wanted to know your thoughts on this, I just spent $160 below on this hardware, and above is what I am currently using. I wanted to know was it a good/bad deal, any suggestion or such?

What I currently have:
  • Gigabyte EX-58 UD4P
  • I7 950 (1st gen)
  • 12gb Kingston Ram
  • Some cheap radeon hd 512mb video card
  • Corsair HX750
  • WD 1tb Hard Drive 7200 RPM 64mb cache
  • Cooler Master Centurion 5 (looks like 5ii, but its the 1st gen)
  • Coolermaster hyper 212 (not evo)
  • Noctua rear exhaust fan

What I just spent $160 on:
  • AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor
  • MSI 990FXA-GAMING ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard
  • MSI GeForce GT 630 4 GB Video Card
  • G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory (Model number is: F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL)

I am assuming the only thing I could save is the hyper 212, psu, case, and rear fan. Then add a 500gb m2 ssd from crucial, and another rear exhaust fan?

Wondering should I keep or sell what I got for $160?

Solution
First thing I'd do is figure out the software. What does it need/use. Some software thrives on clock speeds and IPC and could care less about thread count, some software is the exact opposite. The first being Intel, the opposite being AMD. No point in spending money on high thread counts if you only use 3-4 cores and the software is begging for more speed.

That goes for ram too. What does the software really need, 8Gb, 32Gb, 128Gb...

You won't be using an m.2 drive with anything prior to @ 4 years ago. That board doesn't have an m.2 socket and converting a pcie slot for that use just puts you out of pocket the price of the adapter since a 2.5" Sata 6Gb SSD and an M.2 are the same thing.

Hyper212 on an FX 8350/8370 will work just...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
FX-9590s are money pits, run far far away. You have to start with a high-end cooler for this travesty of a CPU, which means another $100 right there, and many people have trouble getting these to stay stable even after buying very high-end parts.

If you can get your money back, do it before the other person yells "no takebacks!" I rather spend $160 on donuts and just leave them for a flock of ducks than having to use that to try and run a 9590.

DCtx88

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
FX-9590s are money pits, run far far away. You have to start with a high-end cooler for this travesty of a CPU, which means another $100 right there, and many people have trouble getting these to stay stable even after buying very high-end parts.

If you can get your money back, do it before the other person yells "no takebacks!" I rather spend $160 on donuts and just leave them for a flock of ducks than having to use that to try and run a 9590.

So you think I should sell everything I bought? Or swap out the 9590 for something else just as powerful?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So you think I should sell everything I bought? Or swap out the 9590 for something else just as powerful?

I'd sell back the 9590 under every and all circumstances. It's that much of a nightmare.

What else I do would depend on what the PC is being used for. The AM3+ platform was terrible for gaming, a woefully underperforming 2011 platform that almost ended AMD. In gaming terms, it's not really even much of an upgrade over what you have now (the GPU might be, but it's a non-gaming GPU and unsuitable as well). If the purpose is gaming, you'd do far better to slap in a 1650 Super and call it a day.

For workstation purposes, the outlook is less bleak. An FX-8350 would do fine with that motherboard and RAM, without the Kafka-esque hellscape of trying to get a 9590 to work. A 9590 is just an 8350 with the bejeesus clocked out of it and rather incompetent binning. The 8350 will run without you dumping another $100 in a cooler and is practically guaranteed to work.

Reactions: DCtx88

DCtx88

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
I'd sell back the 9590 under every and all circumstances. It's that much of a nightmare.

What else I do would depend on what the PC is being used for. The AM3+ platform was terrible for gaming, a woefully underperforming 2011 platform that almost ended AMD. In gaming terms, it's not really even much of an upgrade over what you have now (the GPU might be, but it's a non-gaming GPU and unsuitable as well). If the purpose is gaming, you'd do far better to slap in a 1650 Super and call it a day.

For workstation purposes, the outlook is less bleak. An FX-8350 would do fine with that motherboard and RAM, without the Kafka-esque hellscape of trying to get a 9590 to work. A 9590 is just an 8350 with the bejeesus clocked out of it and rather incompetent binning. The 8350 will run without you dumping another $100 in a cooler and is practically guaranteed to work.

So my main purpose is for long hours of music production. Using cubase and mpc software with a ton of 64 bit virtual instruments, a focusrite 4i4 soundcard, and not too much gaming.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
First thing I'd do is figure out the software. What does it need/use. Some software thrives on clock speeds and IPC and could care less about thread count, some software is the exact opposite. The first being Intel, the opposite being AMD. No point in spending money on high thread counts if you only use 3-4 cores and the software is begging for more speed.

You won't be using an m.2 drive with anything prior to @ 4 years ago. That board doesn't have an m.2 socket and converting a pcie slot for that use just puts you out of pocket the price of the adapter since a 2.5" Sata 6Gb SSD and an M.2 are the same thing.

Hyper212 on an FX 8350/8370 will work just fine, even get you some OC to maybe 4.3-4.4GHz. Which will make a difference.

Other than as noted about running as far away as possible from that 9590, seriously run, I'm good with the choices.

Solution

DCtx88

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014

Hyper212 on an FX 8350/8370 will work just fine, even get you some OC to maybe 4.3-4.4GHz. Which will make a difference.

Other than as noted about running as far away as possible from that 9590, seriously run, I'm good with the choices.
Thanks for the recommendations. Today I just got a FX-8150 for $15 (was that a good deal and would that be a better option)?

As for software, it’s Cubase 10.5 and mpc software, which usually is better performance with more ram to handle all the virtual instruments you throw at it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks for the recommendations. Today I just got a FX-8150 for $15 (was that a good deal and would that be a better option)?

As for software, it’s Cubase 10.5 and mpc software, which usually is better performance with more ram to handle all the virtual instruments you throw at it.

Not really. If you were going to get an 8150, I'd have just stuck with the 950 and paid $0. There was only really a point to upgrading to such an old platform if you at least got the most powerful CPU that made sense. For a Bulldozer? Hard pass for me.

In the end, you seem to know what you want; there's little point in giving advice, honestly, if you're just going to randomly throw money at whatever anyway. So I wish you luck with your work!

DCtx88

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
Not really. If you were going to get an 8150, I'd have just stuck with the 950 and paid $0. There was only really a point to upgrading to such an old platform if you at least got the most powerful CPU that made sense. For a Bulldozer? Hard pass for me.

In the end, you seem to know what you want; there's little point in giving advice, honestly, if you're just going to randomly throw money at whatever anyway. So I wish you luck with your work!
I switched because I thought the 9590 was gonna crash the pc or something and require $100+ cooler? That was the only cpu my local computer store had for that amd series.