Question What Asus motherboard has a 5v 3-pin header ? (AMD, not Intel)

jessicat1261

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
So im looking for a new motherboard that has a 5v 3-pin header. I wanted it to have at least 2 x USB 2.0 ports and 1 x USB 3.0 port. At least 2 fan headers. I want an Asus one so I can sync it with Icue. If anyone knows of one please link it. I need an AMD one as I have a Ryzen 5 2600X. Thank you!

What is the 5v 3 pin header used for?

I think most AM4 motherboard fit the criteria for USBports on the rear panel and it becomes especially easy if you have a case with wireing for USB2 and USB3 front panel ports. But since you've a 2600 you'd want to pick a B450 board as B550 isn't officially compatible with Zen+ CPU's; avoid B350 as they have largely inadequate VRM's. The X470 (and a few X370) would be OK but only if you have a need for lots of add-in PCIe devices.

In ATX size, B450 Tomahawk Max is good choice or Asus TUF B450 Pro and Strix B450-E, in mATX, B450m Mortar Max and Asus TUF B450m Pro-S.

Last edited:

jessicat1261

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021

I think most AM4 motherboard fit the criteria for USBports on the rear panel and it becomes especially easy if you have a case with wireing for USB2 and USB3 front panel ports. But since you've a 2600 you'd want to pick a B450 board as B550 isn't officially compatible with Zen+ CPU's; avoid B350 as they have largely inadequate VRM's. The X470 (and a few X370) would be OK but only if you have a need for lots of add-in PCIe devices.

In ATX size, B450 Tomahawk Max is good choice or Asus TUF B450 Pro and Strix B450-E, in mATX, B450m Mortar Max and Asus TUF B450m Pro-S.
I want to use it to light up a custom rgb psu shroud. Thing is I need an Asus board so I can sync it to icue, but the Asus boards I have viewed either only have 4 pin rgb headers or only one USB 2.0 whereas I need 2

I want to use it to light up a custom rgb psu shroud. Thing is I need an Asus board so I can sync it to icue, but the Asus boards I have viewed either only have 4 pin rgb headers or only one USB 2.0 whereas I need 2
The Asus TUF B450-pro has two USB 2 ports located to the left side of the back I/O panel. But when looking at a board be sure to consider not only the back-panel ports you can see but the internal USB headers you can plug case wireing into.

And lastly...I'm not sure why you absolutely have to have USB 2.0 ports as the standard is backwards and forwards compatible..so you can plug any 2.0 device into a 3.0 port and it should work (at 2.0 speeds, of course).

hmmm...RGB's not something I really know much about. But I have to think you could find an iCUE compatible RGB hub to do whatever you need and thereby divorce yourself of the problem of finding a compatible motherboard to try and handle it all.

Last edited:

jessicat1261

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
The Asus TUF B450-pro has two USB 2 ports located to the left side of the back I/O panel. But when looking at a board be sure to consider not only the back-panel ports you can see but the internal USB headers you can plug case wireing into.

And lastly...I'm not sure why you absolutely have to have USB 2.0 ports as the standard is backwards and forwards compatible..so you can plug any 2.0 device into a 3.0 port and it should work (at 2.0 speeds, of course).

hmmm...RGB's not something I really know much about. But I have to think you could find an iCUE compatible RGB hub to do whatever you need and thereby divorce yourself of the problem of finding a compatible motherboard to try and handle it all.
Well I have a corsair Lightning Pro plugged into one and a corsair AIO plugged into the other to be able to access Icue software. I need it on the motherboard, not the back/rear ports if you know what I mean

Well I have a corsair Lightning Pro plugged into one and a corsair AIO plugged into the other to be able to access Icue software. I need it on the motherboard, not the back/rear ports if you know what I mean
ahh...now i see.

What you should probably get is something like this adapter that plugs into one of the USB2 internal header and gives you two internal USB 2 ty. A ports. They make something similar for plugging into USB 3 headers too.

And (at the same ebay store) here's a 3 pin 5v RGB adapter that takes it's power from a SATA power cable.

The idea here is you can, by using an adapter or hub, be less specific with what the motherboard has to provide and that opens up your possiblities.

Last edited:

jessicat1261

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021

What if I went with a ASUS Rog STRIX X570-F motherboard? It does say 2600x is compatible but you are saying otherwise if I'm not mistaken?

What if I went with a ASUS Rog STRIX X570-F motherboard? It does say 2600x is compatible but you are saying otherwise if I'm not mistaken?
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu
does support Ryzen 2000 since BIOS 0703. It's one of most expensive X570 boards but has all and more of what you requested.

Cheaper version

Last edited:
X570 is compatible it's the B550 that's not officially compatible. It's reported to work on many B550 boards, but since it's not official it should be considered a bit of a risk for future updates.

X570 may work but it's really overkill since you can't take any advantage of the PCIe gen 4 capability, justifying it's price premium, with a 2600. You could still get X470 if you need a lot of full-bandwidth PCIe slots though. So while it's a poor choice for a 2600x, if it's your plan to upgrade to a 3000 or 5000 in future X570 could be a good choice IF you also have need of more PCIe slots.

Last edited: