What ati radeon hd 5770 card should i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
i want to know what ati radeon hd 5770 card to get between HIS, Sapphire, ASUS etc... i want at least 800 shaders and i want to be able to play GTA IV, ARMA and games like that. what card would best fit me on a ~$150 budget? and wich card is most reliable and will get the best proformance?

i have...
CPU: AMD x64 x2 2.50Ghz cpu
Mother board: GA-MA69G-S3H AM2 socket- up to 16 gigs of ram
RAM: 4x1gb G.Skill RAM
HDD: SATA western digital 250gb hdd
PSU: 700w OCZ sealthXstream

THANK YOU!

Solution
XFX dual lifetime warranty in north America.
Sapphire biggest producer of ATI cards.
Asus CuCore thought to be one of the best overclockers and cooling solutions+Bundled software for tweaks.
All good points for buying from these 3 manufacturers HIS and MSI would come in with the Asus card as good overclockers.
If you want reliability then the warranty is the big thing (since hardware breaks) and if you are in NA XFX has the best warranty.
XFX dual lifetime warranty in north America.
Sapphire biggest producer of ATI cards.
Asus CuCore thought to be one of the best overclockers and cooling solutions+Bundled software for tweaks.
All good points for buying from these 3 manufacturers HIS and MSI would come in with the Asus card as good overclockers.
If you want reliability then the warranty is the big thing (since hardware breaks) and if you are in NA XFX has the best warranty.

Solution
Of course, with your slower CPU they will all preform about the same. Any of the 1GB 5770s would serve you well. Get this model

HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB $149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338

You shouldn't spend money on more expensive models (which would be a bit outside your $150 budget :D ) like the HAWK or the Gigabyte Super Clock since they come closer in price to the faster 5830 and GTX 460. Of course even a 5770 would be held back a bit by your older Athlon X2. You may want to consider a cheaper 5750 instead since it's likely to preform about the same for you with that CPU.

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks guys. But Which brand has the least bugs,is most reliable, and will last the longest? And with xfx, if the gpu breaks for any reason they'll replace it for life?

Thanks

XFX will replace as long it is not broken from an accident like dropping it on the floor or throwing it out the window. Top brands would be XFX, MSI, Asus, Sapphire, HIS and etc they all have more or less the same quality and are all reputable companies.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

I own 3 XFX 5770's, in two systems. They idle @ 37c - 42c. The "egg shape" cooler design is nice and quiet. I would recommend them. I have contacted XFX a few times, and always received a prompt response. I emailed about the lack of a crossfire bridge, and they sent two out to me the next day free of charge. These were my first XFX cards, and I have been impressed with the warranty and service.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

My intel E6850 core duo was struggling overclocked to 3.6Ghz. You really need a quad core for GTA IV. I noticed a drastic improvement with a Q9550 quad core @ 3.6 and the 5770's in Xfire. What I've read is the coding is to blame. As others have mentioned it is VERY CPU intensive.

You are going to see a CPU bottleneck with your processor, it should be your next upgrade.

Take a look at my upgrade if'n ya want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EusoPORfQ

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
What would be a good mobo if I got an i5 750. And with a pcie x16 2.0 or 2.1 (mabe 2 of them for crossfire) at least 16 gigs of ram? For a pretty good pice because I'm only 14.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Just an off the cuff ballpark for the system you described, is about $1000. I personally am sitting out the on the i3/i5/i7 socket 1156 and 1366 45 nm CPUs. I am going to wait for the 32 nm Sandy Bridge. By that time SSD hard drives, SATA 3 6.0 Gb/s and USB 3.0 will mature and lower in price.

For the money and I think you should consider an AMD platform. I have a AMD 955 BE (black edition) C3 stepping @ 4.0 Ghz that spanks my Intel Q9550 system in CPU benchmarks. I have read good things about the AMD 870 chipset, and it is cost effective. It will give you USB 3.0 and 6.0Gb/s SATA. Look at the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T and 1090 T, very cost effective 6 core processors.

16 GB of RAM is a little overkill, IMHO. I have had very few processes that have used all 8 GBs that I have installed.

Do some research and put a "dream system" parts list together, and then start searching and reading reviews at retailers and hardware forums. This will allow you to make your own informed decision. I normally spend 2 to 3 weeks researching before I buy parts. youtube is a great resource for how to and review vids

This is just my opinion, mileage will vary.

I enjoy "shopping and researching" as much as building.

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

very much so! It runs all my games on high! Battlefield 2, battlefield bad co 2, gta sa, etc all high. And it plays gta iv pretty well on high with little noticable lag(that's cause of my older athlon x2 2.5ghz 4800+)but gta iv runs better then I thought it would! Thanks for the help!

And about that i5 build I was talking about, I found an asus p7p55d deluxe or the e deluxe, with a core i5 760, Cooler Master USP 100 ATX Case, ozc stealthxstream 700w psu, 500gb wd black HD, ocz ram. If you have anyother recomendations please let me know :). I think I'll build it sometime after Christmas. And lookin and compairing parts is very fun! tiger direct tv ;)

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.