What audio jacks are which?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Possn_

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
I plan on getting the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro with a ModMic. But, I'm not sure which 3.5 audio jack is only for audio output and which is for the microphone. Or, do I not need to worry because the information will be in the motherboard manual?

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Speakers - connected to:

If you have a typical 2ch or 2.1ch speaker system (where there is only one 3.5mm jack connecting all the speakers/sub-woofer), you will connect that jack to the Line-Out (usu. green color) at the I/O panel of your motherboard located at the back of your case.

If you have a 5.1ch or 7.1ch, with all speakers/sub-woofer having individual jacks (no amplifier), follow the instructions/visuals of the mobo's manual, depending on your chosen motherboard, where each speaker is connected to each of the...
Depends on what motherboard you will be getting. Typically, the 3.5mm audio jacks at the rear panel are color-coded (if not labelled) as such:

For 3x Audio Jacks:
c00587894.gif

For 6x Audio Jacks:
c00587895.gif

For example:
Snap2.jpg

Some motherboards do not have any color-coding in the audio jack panel such as this:
MSI%20970G%20-%20IO.png

But it will be appropriately labelled in the motherboard's User Manual:
8egG1iC.png

Possn_

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017

this visual aid is useful, but i still don't know what goes where. I'm going to have a mic, headphones, and speakers, so which go where?

Speakers - connected to:

If you have a typical 2ch or 2.1ch speaker system (where there is only one 3.5mm jack connecting all the speakers/sub-woofer), you will connect that jack to the Line-Out (usu. green color) at the I/O panel of your motherboard located at the back of your case.

If you have a 5.1ch or 7.1ch, with all speakers/sub-woofer having individual jacks (no amplifier), follow the instructions/visuals of the mobo's manual, depending on your chosen motherboard, where each speaker is connected to each of the colored jacks.

Headphones - connected to:

Option A: Connect the 3.5mm jack of your headphone to your case's front panel Headphone-Out jack, usually located either at the front or at the top (sometimes at the side) of your case. It has usually a headphone icon drawn above it. This jack of your case will be connected to your motherboard's 9-pin HD Audio header via a cable that comes with your case.
13-IO-panel.jpg

Option B: If your speaker system has a Headphone-Out jack, you can also connect such headphones directly to the speaker's (or amp's) Headphone-Out jack. Some monitors also have this out jack where you can connect your headphone to.
B003CP0OT2_Z130_headset_plug.jpg

Mic - connect to:

Option A: Connect the 3.5mm jack of your microphone to your case's front panel Mic-In jack, usually located either at the front or at the top (sometimes at the side) of your case. It has usually a microphone icon drawn above it. This jack will also be connected to your motherboard's 9-pin HD Audio header.

Option B: Connect the 3.5mm jack of your microphone to the Mic-Out (usu. pink color) at the I/O panel of your motherboard located at the back of your case.

Reactions: PhantomTech77
Solution
Sep 24, 2020
Hi all I m using motherboard supports
Realtek 662 3xAudio Jacks for 6 channel HD Audio . It has pink,green and blue pins. I need to connect my Logitech z906 with that. I am trying to connect them with 6 channel output wire comes from Logitech like green,orange,black. When I connect with computer that 3 pins realtek audio manager asking me which is front,rear and center. I don't know how to connect and colors coding.please help me

USAFRet

Titan
Hi all I m using motherboard supports
Realtek 662 3xAudio Jacks for 6 channel HD Audio . It has pink,green and blue pins. I need to connect my Logitech z906 with that. I am trying to connect them with 6 channel output wire comes from Logitech like green,orange,black. When I connect with computer that 3 pins realtek audio manager asking me which is front,rear and center. I don't know how to connect and colors coding.please help me
Please start a new thread for your particular situation.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.