What backup software are you using?

denton

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005
Hey all, just got my new build up and running, win 7 64 bit, lotta ram and drive capacity.

I'm an amateur photog, so have a lot of data to back up. About 500gb of programs and data altogether, so off line storage not really possible. I use three 1tb external hard drives, I rotate two here and one goes off site every week.

On my old XP3 Pro machine, I had Norton Ghost. A maddeningly quirky program, it did the job, and when I lost my c: drive, it restored it all with no problems.

Ghost doesn't install on this machine, so I was happy to see that Win7 had its own backup utility. Simple, but crazy slow, unless I am doing something wrong.

Ghost used to take about 8 hours, so if I started it when I went to bed, it was done in the morning.

I started my first Win7 backup last night around 9PM, 22 hours later it's 43% done. I'm hoping it will be finished in the morning.

Clearly I need better. What are you using? I don't mind paying for software either, sell me a $50 prgram that is done overnoght, vs. this free stuff that is taking days!