What Backup software is recommended for incremental type backups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
When I add or modify something I want it to be added to the backup.
When I delete something I want it to be deleted from the backup.
It would be preferable if the backup file didn't have a unique file type (like just an encryption process that the user could select or none and the files are the same as the original) but this is not so important I guess.

kanewolf

Titan

It sounds like you are looking for something to do real-time file synchronization. Dsynchronize (midway down the page) gets pretty good reviews....

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
So I tried it and am perplexed. I set up the source and destination and hit Synchronize. Nothing appeared at the destination. I must have done something wrong. I checked the website and found no Help file. There's a screenshot but its blurred and unreadable. There is a small help file along with the program and it doesn't mention compatibility with Windows 7. Its supposed to be compatible with:
Windows VISTA
Windows 2003
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows NT4 with SP6a and IE4 or superior.

so maybe that's the problem. On his website it says the new version is compatible with:
Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/Seven/8/Win10)
No mention of Windows 7. The versions however are the same (2.32.7). Clearly this stuff needs updating along with the website and doc files.

USAFRet

Titan

OK...coming back into this almost 3 year old thread...

Presumably your needs and wants have changed a little bit.
So what, exactly, do you want this to do?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
As I said, just mirror one folder in another destination. I would think everyone would want this requirement in a backup. If you delete something at the source surely most people would want it deleted at the destination. In case of errors it would be good if the past backups weren't deleted of course. The title of the backup should reflect the time and date it was done.

USAFRet

Titan

SyncBack Free or FreeFileSync or SyncToy

All free. Try and see which one you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.