[SOLVED] What behavior will come up if a component's SATA power connection is incomplete?

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
Found out recently that my hard drive's sata power is I guess you could say is broken. If the cable was slightly pulled to the right or left it would keep beeping until a BSOD shows up.

Have you guys experienced this behavior?

Solution
it's possible that you can tape the SATA cable in place so that it may have a more stable connection to the drive but if the connectors are broken in some way it may not ever work correctly again.

it's also possible that you could use a vertical external drive dock that has a hard connection to the drive.
these may be more stable than a cable's with the weight of the drive pressing down on the connection.

VenB

Prominent
Aug 27, 2021
if the connection is not fully seated then a variety of issues can arise.

the most common would be intermittent failure of the device as it loses power randomly
or just losing connection with the device totally.

is it the cable or the connector on the drive that is damaged?
On the drive, I created a thread the other day thinking it was my psu not enough power. It was just a stupid bad connection on the drive. Now I have a molex to 2 sata power splitter and another usb to sata adapter.
Seems like karma is a very real thing. 😩

it's possible that you can tape the SATA cable in place so that it may have a more stable connection to the drive but if the connectors are broken in some way it may not ever work correctly again.

it's also possible that you could use a vertical external drive dock that has a hard connection to the drive.
these may be more stable than a cable's with the weight of the drive pressing down on the connection.

Solution