What bios version does the q6600 support?

Jul 27, 2018
I've recently bought a q6600 to upgrade my optiplex 745 minitower, from a q6300. My current bios version is 2.3.1, and my motherboard is a Dell OHR330, with a Q965 chipset. Just wondering if I need to update my bios to support the new cpu. (Or if the cpu will work with my motherboard at all)

Solution

This is an old story. It was proven many times in the past that Q6600 and a few more stronger ones are supported for those Optiplexes. And it is actually possible to use PIN MODE to "overclock" it somewhat.
Dells sometimes...

There will be another "small" problem - overheat.
Your existing CPU (I think you typed wrong, there is no Q6300, I guess you meant E6300) is using Aluminum heatsink which is designed for 65 watt and Q6600 is 105 watt.
If you still reading this, comeback here. You will need Heatsink upgrade to Copper version.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Came to post the same thing, but Kisianik beat me to it.

I don;t see any reason for that system to support a Q6600 at all.
Designed/built for 65W TDP CPUs and, as an OEM system, only has to support the CPUs it could've shipped with from the factor.

It's possible the Q6600 could be supported, but in no way a guarantee. The board/power delivery may not support it, and the cooler most certainly won't.

Good new and surprise.

If you have something looks like this

Art0J9761.jpg

Or this

s-l225.jpg

You are good to go.

The 65 watt, usually installed by default for Dual cores is this crap

31VYXIU2gwL.jpg

Surprise, surprise.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

I can't find anything to confirm whether the same board shipped* with both the 65W TDP chips and the 130W Pentium D's.

If they did, and the only difference was the cooler - then you should be totally fine.

If there were different boards, you might have issues with power delivery/overheating VRMs etc.

*It would be pretty rare than different boards were used though.

This is an old story. It was proven many times in the past that Q6600 and a few more stronger ones are supported for those Optiplexes. And it is actually possible to use PIN MODE to "overclock" it somewhat.
Dells sometimes are full of surprises. Take my old Inspiron 570 (signature). Officially the strongest CPU for it was Phenom II x4 955 or 945, don't remember for sure. I verified and installed 965 Black Edition and overclocked it (some cheap Dells can be overcloked, surprise), and I have fresh confirmation that 6 core 1100T was installed on that Inspiron and overclocked on liquid cooling.

Life is full of surprises.

Solution