What Brand for RAID 0?

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
What hard drive brand do you recommend for a RAID 0 setup? Some personal experience would be appreciated also, thanks.

My computer is slower than molasses.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by l3um on 03/03/02 08:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I don't understand the question. What brand hard drives or RAID controller?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Ouch recommending ibm's after all the problems people have had with them.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

How many people?

No one seemed to have problems with them until the Maxtor 740 thingy came out. I've never had any probs with them.

Neither have my customers.

<b><font color=blue>~ They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha! ~</font color=blue></b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Only the 75GXPs had problems, the 60GXPs have so far been fine.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I've seen a couple people here and at anand with the same problems with 60's as 75's.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Of course, but it's nowhere near as widespread.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Sure it is, compared to any other harddrive out there now it is widespread.

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
EEK...I don't want it to crash suddenly in a RAID 0 setup. How are the Maxtor 60gigs?

What's this?...ERROR ERROR ERROR...*CRASH & BURN*

FatBurger

Illustrious
No, problems with the 60GXP aren't as bad.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Aren't as bad...lol.

Ok so you only have to RMA them twice a year instead of 4 times a year?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Do you have any evidence that 60GXPs are commonly failing?

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Wouldn't say common, but it's definately not rare like all good harddrives.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Zslash, ill sum it up here.

The 75gxp sucked.

The 60gxp is perfectly fine, the 60gxp sells tons more than any other brand, hence, there is a higher amount of reported failures.

The 120gxp is flawless from what I hear, to damn [-peep-] bad IBM returned me 2 refurbished 75gxps for my rmaed 75gxp drives, some people were getting 60 gig 120gxps for the 45 gig 75gxps!

Oh well, raid em up, and torture them till they die, then rma once more, if you call ibm and complain, they will even pay shipping!

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know, but I think Maxtors problem with the liquid bearing on the 7200 rpm drives is wide spread. I hear these drives have a lot of problems

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Where are you reading this? I have only seen a few posts on this messageboard about a "potential" problem.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Some more stuff on 75 gxp and 60 gxp failures.

<A HREF="http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=733618" target="_new">here</A>