[SOLVED] What brand's the best for RX 6600 XT?

farhanf44

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
Hello guys, I finally have enough money to buy new parts! Yay 👻 (not so much tho)

Now I'm confused to buy which brand, I saw a review about RX 6600 XT on YT and I the Red Devil, HellHound, Msi Gaming X... Seems to be pretty cool (thermal)

Is it fine to choose Hellhound? I think I only have 2 choices, between MSI Mech 2x or Power color Hellhound. Red devil n gaming X are empty sadly...

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Solution
Red Devil is powercolor’s higher end model. Either of the other 2 should be fine. Just look for which has the better cooler and better warranty and cost imo.

Personally I’d probably get the MSI mech. But that’s mainly because I briefly owned a 6600xt hellhound edition and had a lot of issues. I think the card was defective which can happen with any brand really. At the time I returned it to the store and was able to get an asus card instead that worked fine. Another of the powercolor cards likely would have been fine, but that was in 2021 during shortages and I’d gotten it at msrp from microcenter around release, so I spent the extra on the Asus card when I did the return at the time since I wanted to make sure I had a working...
Red Devil is powercolor’s higher end model. Either of the other 2 should be fine. Just look for which has the better cooler and better warranty and cost imo.

Personally I’d probably get the MSI mech. But that’s mainly because I briefly owned a 6600xt hellhound edition and had a lot of issues. I think the card was defective which can happen with any brand really. At the time I returned it to the store and was able to get an asus card instead that worked fine. Another of the powercolor cards likely would have been fine, but that was in 2021 during shortages and I’d gotten it at msrp from microcenter around release, so I spent the extra on the Asus card when I did the return at the time since I wanted to make sure I had a working card.

I later sold the asus 6600xt, but bought an msi mech 6700xt that was a great card that I had no trouble with. Hence my bias towards the msi. Truth be told the hellhound looks cool in the case and either card should run great and be similar in performance to the other.

Reactions: farhanf44
Solution

KyaraM

Admirable
Honestly, with GPUs, it usually doesn't matter that much unless you are scared to break something. This time around, I went and just bought the cheapest card of the model I wanted and from a reputable brand I could find (Gainward), and then did the tuning myself. That card is a beast. Very happy to overclock and undervolt. Rock stable. The deal with higher priced and OC models is usually just that they promise higher clocks. But many non-OC models are perfectly able to reach similar levels. The only thing that might become an issue is warranty. But I'm not too worried about that as long as the brand is not trash in that regard. So if you are unsure, what I would do is a quick Google search for what people think about warranty of either company and if one sucks, pick the other. If both are fine, it's up to you.

I'll be honest with you, I've used cards made by Albatron, XFX, Palit, Gigabyte and Sapphire. They all work and they all live essentially forever.

The brands of card that have given me problems in the past were ASUS, Powercolor and XFX.

My mom had an ASUS Radeon HD 6450 in her HTPC and it gave her problems immediately so I brought it back to Canada Computers and replaced it with an XFX model. After that, no problems.

I bought a pair of Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 XT cards which worked fine on their own but would immediately crash if I engaged Crossfire. I brought them back to NCIX and replaced them with two Gigabyte HD 7970s. I never had a problem with those.

The XFX problem was with my RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation. However, that was my sixth card from them and the card that they sent as a replacement was also just fine (a THICC-III). My GeForce 6200, my twin Radeon HD 4870s, my Radeon HD 5450 and 6450 all still work to this day. Well, my 6200 doesn't but that's because I threw it away as there's nothing today that can use an AGP card but it worked right up to the end.

This just goes to show you that you can get a defective card of ANY brand so it's not worth worrying about as it's extremely rare for any of them to have problems.

I used to work for Tiger Direct and I never noticed one brand of card (Radeon OR GeForce) being especially better than any other, despite people talking about how great EVGA, ASUS and Sapphire are. Remember that all of these AIB partners are huge tech companies in their own right and to them, making a video card is essentially child's play.

Just get whatever one costs the least and is made by a brand that you recognise. I believe that right now, the best deal on the RX 6600 XT is on the Challenger model from ASRock. Newegg has it for $270:
ASRock Challenger D Radeon RX 6600 XT: $270

As for performance, the most that I've ever seen between one card and another was a "whopping" 5% and the "faster" card cost an extra $100. There's really no reason to care what "brand" of card you buy. You'll be in good shape no matter what. ;)(y)

Last edited:

farhanf44

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I'll be honest with you, I've used cards made by Albatron, XFX, Palit, Gigabyte and Sapphire. They all work and they all live essentially forever.

The brands of card that have given me problems in the past were ASUS, Powercolor and XFX.

My mom had an ASUS Radeon HD 6450 in her HTPC and it gave her problems immediately so I brought it back to Canada Computers and replaced it with an XFX model. After that, no problems.

I bought a pair of Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 XT cards which worked fine on their own but would immediately crash if I engaged Crossfire. I brought them back to NCIX and replaced them with two Gigabyte HD 7970s. I never had a problem with those.

The XFX problem was with my RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation. However, that was my sixth card from them and the card that they sent as a replacement was also just fine (a THICC-III). My GeForce 6200, my twin Radeon HD 4870s, my Radeon HD 5450 and 6450 all still work to this day. Well, my 6200 doesn't but that's because I threw it away as there's nothing today that can use an AGP card but it worked right up to the end.

This just goes to show you that you can get a defective card of ANY brand so it's not worth worrying about as it's extremely rare for any of them to have problems.

I used to work for Tiger Direct and I never noticed one brand of card (Radeon OR GeForce) being especially better than any other, despite people talking about how great EVGA, ASUS and Sapphire are. Remember that all of these AIB partners are huge tech companies in their own right and to them, making a video card is essentially child's play.

Just get whatever one costs the least and is made by a brand that you recognise. I believe that right now, the best deal on the RX 6600 XT is on the Challenger model from ASRock. Newegg has it for $270:
ASRock Challenger D Radeon RX 6600 XT: $270

As for performance, the most that I've ever seen between one card and another was a "whopping" 5% and the "faster" card cost an extra $100. There's really no reason to care what "brand" of card you buy. You'll be in good shape no matter what. ;)(y)
Yeah right, I've only tried MSI, Inno3D and asus all my life, gonna try MSI and hoping it'll turns out fine... The things that concern me the most is actually the temperature of these cards, because I watched it on some reviews that some of these cards are having different temp on their full load, like biostar is the worst and flop, or Power Color Red Devil is among the coolest of them all for its price... Well too bad the card is out of stock and I only have few choice here.

Btw thanks all, never thought many people will give their opinion for this 🙏

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Yeah right, I've only tried MSI, Inno3D and asus all my life, gonna try MSI and hoping it'll turns out fine... The things that concern me the most is actually the temperature of these cards, because I watched it on some reviews that some of these cards are having different temp on their full load, like biostar is the worst and flop, or Power Color Red Devil is among the coolest of them all for its price... Well too bad the card is out of stock and I only have few choice here.

Btw thanks all, never thought many people will give their opinion for this 🙏
Yes, I saw that one video with the Biostar card and I was shocked by how bad the design was, but that's Biostar and that was just one model. Every other Biostar video card that I've ever seen or heard about worked just fine.

I was referring to the "usual suspects", which, for a Radeon, would be Sapphire, XFX, ASRock, ASUS, Powercolor, MSi and Gigabyte. Even Yeston would be just fine if their styling is to your taste.

Funnily enough, the only motherboard that ever failed on me was an MSi flagship board, the K9A2 Platinum and it failed after only about 15 or 16 months. Since it had only a 1yr warranty, MSi wouldn't even give me a discount on a replacement. Since that day, I have never bought anything from MSi but it has nothing to do with their quality as they're no better or worse than anyone else in that regard. It's just the fact that their customer service left a bad taste in my mouth and I have many other options.

If you want the MSi, get the MSi. It'll be fine. I just don't recommend paying more for it. Remember, noobs buy by brand, experts buy by spec.