Question What browsing data does Chrome's "enhanced protection" send to Google?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
In the Security Settings of the Chrome Browser, you can find the Enhanced Protection option that says the following: "Faster, proactive protection against dangerous websites, downloads, and extensions. Warns you about password breaches. Requires browsing data to be sent to Google."

Is it safe to enable this option? What browsing data is sent to Google? Also, is the sent data encrypted or not encrypted, meaning someone can penetrate the Wi-Fi network and see the data being sent to Google?

Does the option send sensitive data like passwords?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
chrome already sends everything you do to google. this simply mirrors the data to another part of the google machine.

but think about it for a minute, how would google be able to protect you from dangerous websites, downloads, and extensions. Warns you about password breaches ? exactly, by sending all the info on every site you go to, everything you download, every extension you install, and anything else you do. it can't look over your shoulder without looking over your shoulder.

no clue if they encrypt the data or not, you would hope so, but don't think anyone knows that answer. i've not seen any articles about google data breaches but that does not mean it has not happened.

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
chrome already sends everything you do to google. this simply mirrors the data to another part of the google machine.

but think about it for a minute, how would google be able to protect you from dangerous websites, downloads, and extensions. Warns you about password breaches ? exactly, by sending all the info on every site you go to, everything you download, every extension you install, and anything else you do. it can't look over your shoulder without looking over your shoulder.

no clue if they encrypt the data or not, you would hope so, but don't think anyone knows that answer. i've not seen any articles about google data breaches but that does not mean it has not happened.

You saved me from asking the question is Google Chrome safe to use.
I agree with your reply even though it was made back in 4/2022. Maybe they made some improvements, security wise, since then but Google in terms of protecting privacy has not been a standout.
When it comes to using a browser I think it comes down to choosing the lesser of two evils.

Many thanks Math Geek.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd not say it is "unsafe" to use. rather there are huge privacy concerns. it's plenty safe from anything but google :)

if you're comfortable with the privacy aspects of using anything google makes, then the products work fine. just a choice you have to make whether you are willing or not to share what you do with google. not that apple/MS and many others don't do the same thing. so not simply picking on google, they just the company in question at the moment