I am going to college soon, and I am looking for a laptop I can take with me. I am going into a computer science major, and the laptop will need:
- To be a Windows laptop, good/fast enough to handle programming. Not sure what this means specs-wise, but I think something with 4GB of ram would definitely suffice
- Don't plan to play games on it, just plan to program and compile/run my programs.
- Must be portable for classes, lightweight is only a bonus
- Although it doesn't need a huge amount of storage (I can always get an external hard drive or something like that), I would prefer that it has enough for 4 years of programs or at least 1 year of programs that I can then offload to an external drive. Maybe 256-500 GB would work.
- A long enough battery life to last through classes (preferably ~2-3 hrs at high performance, but 6 or more at power saving settings)
- Screen size of 15" or more, screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768, preferably more, no need to be over 1920 x 1080
- Will last for more than 4 years
- No optical drive needed
- Not a Chromebook, they won't support the programs I need for my classes
- In the US
- And preferably with a budget of $500 or less, the cheaper the better.