what budget pc processor is best for 3d rendering

eamon butler

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
okay so I have been searching for a laptop for my 3d modelling and rendering and gaming for quite a while and I believe I know enough about laptops and gaming laptop specs but the subject of 3d rendering/modelling is nowhere near as popular especially for a budget laptop.

So recently I decided I will get a pc instead because I can get a good one a lot cheaper and I need to know what specs would be best for 3d rendering/modelling and gaming under $600. I want to spend more money on getting a better cpu than more on a better gpu, the gpu will only be for occasional gaming on steam to run games like DOTA 2 and Rust smoothly.

I will be using programmes like maya, photoshop, flash pro, etc.

This question is mainly for the processor but If you have a good build than I will gladly look at it. and I also want to know, what in particular does a processor need to be better at rendering well? originally I thought that, with intel the i7's were better because they had quad core and i5's didn't but recently I found that some i5 cpu's have quad core.

oh and how many fans should a build have?

sorry for so many questions.

Gvgd94

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I5 and i7 difference is hyperthreading which will help you alot with videorendering but not rly while gaming. If you render that much try getting at least 16gb ram at a high speed. For the gpu you could wait for the 800 series from nvidia or buy a new amd card (r270x and up) or a gtx 760. If you get a good case fans shouldnt be the problem since most of them include a front panel fan, top fan and back side fan. But like i said, for the rendering get an i7, 16gb at least of fast ram and a fast hdd

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Pretty much every i5 is quad core. Most i7 are also Quad core, but have Hyper threading.

You might find your money is better spent on the GPU as many rendering apps can be accelerated by the GPU.

What parts do you have already? Does the budget require windows and a monitor to be purchased also?

eamon butler

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I only need the PC.
For $600 pc how should I spend on my CPU? I'm thinking around $170, so for that price range It would be best to get an amd right? At the moment I'm looking at the amd fx 8320 but the price has gone up to $190 so is there any CPUs for less than that but still as powerful or even more powerful?