Question What budget SSD 120GB for my old laptop?

kompot

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
Hello there,
I want to upgrade my old laptop HP ProBook 6570b with cheap 120GB SSD. What would your recommend? I was thinking about Crucial BX500 120GB, is it a good choice? Is it hard to install SSD in a laptop (I've never done it before)?
Thanks in advance and have a great day :)

kompot

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
I wouldn't recommend a 120GB SSD today. They are just too small if you are running Windows. If this is a Linux only laptop, then it would be OK.
Thanks for concern but my parents don't need more space. 50GB is enough for system and basic programms :)

Would Crucial BX500 120GB be a good choice?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for concern but my parents don't need more space. 50GB is enough for system and basic programms :)

IMO, if this is a parents build, that is even more reason to not short them on space. Windows 10 updates will fill it up and they won't monitor it until it crashes the host. If you want to not be bothered by them having problems, get a 250GB. And I will shut up now....

USAFRet

Titan

"system and basic programms" is exactly what my wifes system is.
Currently consuming about 80GB. Which is right at the edge of what would be usable in a 120GB drive.

Once you save a few funny cat pictures, and teh semi annual Windows update, that 120GB goes away far faster than you think.

A 250GB drive is under $50. And will give you peace of mind not having to manage that free space all the time.

kompot

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
Ok, thanks for the heads ups. I'll buy 240GB then :)

I found these SSDs to be pretty cheap in my country, which one should I pick?
Patriot Burst 240GB
Kingston A400 240GB
Crucial BX500 240GB