[SOLVED] What can be cause of my PC underperforming?

a.nekako.123

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
Hello everyone,

Few month ago I upgraded my PC to 10700k, Biostar Z490 GT, RTX 3080, MSI MPG 750, Arctic Liquid II 360mm. Firast my PC was in Lian li 011d, but few weeks ago I switched to p600s.

Now at first I was lightly monitoring my temperatures and CPU temps before were arround 85 C at full usage. However there were no problems while using PC so I did not look other temperatures. But, my PC started acting strange a few weeks ago, it started randomly droping CPU clock to 0,8 GHz. Since than I started monitoring all of my temperatures and I noticed that two of my Motherboard sensors(have no idea what they are, I suspect they are VRM and PCH) started showing temperatures of up to 100 C, and thats when throttling starts happening.

I first suspected that my new case has bad airflow, I tried 2 configurations: AIO front intake, 3 12p bionix exhaust and one 140mm that came with the case at the back. In other configuration i switched top and fron fans(put AIO on top). In first configuration CPU temp were up to 85 and GPU was up to 65, while in second configuration CPU and GPU temps got up by 3 degrees. In both configurations motherboard temperatures were same, up to 100 and then throttle of cpu. I also tried opening side panel of case and cpu and motherboard temperatures were same as closed.

Now my question would be what can be cause of this? I learned now that Biostar motherboards have bad VRMs, but can they cause CPU overheating, or maybe vice versa? And what can I do to cool motherboard more efficiently?

I have been using Aida , cinebench and Games for testing. I have been monitoring temperatures with HWinfo and HWmonitor. I have applied, and also reapplied thermal paste, AIO is seated on CPU how it should be, and I have built this PC myself. CPU is not overclocked, I wanted to but my temperatures were too high to begin with so I decided against it.

Solution
Motherboard VRM thermal throttling, which in turn, power throttles the cpu, because the VRM isn't sending as much power to the cpu, because, well, it's too hot - and we're going in circles.
There's also VRM power throttling - minus the critical temperatures.

Some motherboards have heatsinks that weren't well designed and don't really do much for VRM cooling. In other cases, the contact between the heatsink and VRM is poor!

Since you can't return/replace the board right away, next best thing is probably to go into bios, lower the short duration power limit, and undervolt the cpu.
Intel default short duration limit for that chip is 250w. Some boards have this set higher by default. I guess you could try dropping to 180w or something...

a.nekako.123

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
Before reading even to the end of the first paragraph I can tell ya that you F-ed up with the Mobo decision!
Yeah I know that... I was in a hurry and it was only Z490 available, If problem cant be fixed I could buy new, but only in like 2-3 months, so I would like to solve this as best as I can untill then.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard VRM thermal throttling, which in turn, power throttles the cpu, because the VRM isn't sending as much power to the cpu, because, well, it's too hot - and we're going in circles.

Some motherboards have heatsinks that weren't well designed and don't really do much for VRM cooling. In other cases, the contact between the heatsink and VRM is poor!

Since you can't return/replace the board right away, next best thing is probably to go into bios, lower the short duration power limit, and undervolt the cpu.
Intel default short duration limit for that chip is 250w. Some boards have this set higher by default. I guess you could try dropping to 180w or something.
Undervolt should be easy enough: find cpu Vcore settings, change to Offset mode, and apply a -0.050v offset.
Also make sure C-states and Intel Speed Shift are enabled in bios.

Reactions: a.nekako.123
Solution

a.nekako.123

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017

Intel default short duration limit for that chip is 250w. Some boards have this set higher by default. I guess you could try dropping to 180w or something.
Undervolt should be easy enough: find cpu Vcore settings, change to Offset mode, and apply a -0.050v offset.
Also make sure C-states and Intel Speed Shift are enabled in bios.
Thanks, I will try it today when I get home and will get back to you.