Question What can be the problem?

Jan 13, 2023
Hello there!
I recently bought an used SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX580 4Gb version, and I have some issues with it.The card was 85+ C on the first launch, so I had to replace the thermal paste, which was completly dried out.
After that, the temps were at 60-70 C under full stress.But that's where the problem came in.I installed the recent drivers to it, and it couldn't handle any game without massive laggs..So I tested it with Furmark, and the picture went completly black, and I had to restart the pc.The fans are on 100% all the time after stress, and won't go down, even under 30C. The card takes up 185W power, but mine under full stress took like max 120W..So the problems are the next: With the right driver, it cant run games, it can't run furmark bench without blacking out, and the fans are always on 100% after some stress..So I'm assuming that it was a mining card, which wouldn't be suprising for this series..What can cause this problem?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023
Did the card flicker and run on max before you did the repaste?
It didn't flicker. I started a game and put everything on high, while I watched the temps with hardware monitor.As I accepted the settings in the game, the fans went 100% and the card was 85%°C and yea, it was on full..Also, I gave it to my friend, to test it with other system, and had same symptoms as I. The games were lagging, and furmark blacked out.Worth to mention too, that there where times in furmark before balcking out, that the fans were spinning at 120% according to the program.

Edit: The card it self was not on 100, but when it hit 100 in furmark it blacked out.

Last edited:

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
It didn't flicker. I started a game and put everything on high, while I watched the temps with hardware monitor.As I accepted the settings in the game, the fans went 100% and the card was 85%°C and yea, it was on full..Also, I gave it to my friend, to test it with other system, and had same symptoms as I. The games were lagging, and furmark blacked out.Worth to mention too, that there where times in furmark before balcking out, that the fans were spinning at 120% according to the program.

Edit: The card it self was not on 100, but when it hit 100 in furmark it blacked out.
Can you post your full system specs

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
I have core I5-2500k
12GB of DDR3 RAM
ASUS P8H61-M LX3 Plus R.2.0 Board
And now I'm using a Sapphire HD7770 Ghz edition and for PSU I got a Seasonic B12 BC-550
Replace this card with your old one (which I am assuming is the HD7770), installing the necessary drivers for it as well. If the system accepts the card and the flickering/temperature issue goes away you probably do have a busted up card. I was thinking it might be power related but that PSU should do the trick. You could try a GPU firmware flash as a last resort but I would see if you can refund that card from the seller. Assuming it was used for mining, then the miner most likely messed with the bios which is causing instability, a clean RX 580 bios could fix that.

Jan 13, 2023
Replace this card with your old one (which I am assuming is the HD7770), installing the necessary drivers for it as well. If the system accepts the card and the flickering/temperature issue goes away you probably do have a busted up card. I was thinking it might be power related but that PSU should do the trick. You could try a GPU firmware flash as a last resort but I would see if you can refund that card from the seller. Assuming it was used for mining, then the miner most likely messed with the bios which is causing instability, a clean RX 580 bios could fix that.
The old GPU works fine, no flickering/temp issue, stable in games as well.I was thinking of flashing a new bios,but I wasn't so sure about it.Can you send me a good bios version for it?

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016