Cpu: i7 9700k
Ram: 8x4 Corsair vengeance
Aio: Corsair h100i v2
Mobo: Rog strix Z390-e
Monitor: Alienware aw3418dw
Mouse: Logitech g403
Headset: Astro a40
Keyboard: Corsair k70 rgb cherry red
SSD's and HDD: Seagate 500gb barricuda, Samsung Evo 850 500gb, Crucial mx500 2tb

I need help guys. Every hour my PC hangss which causes me to lose control of keyboard functionality, mouse as well as the monitor freezing for 5 sec before resuming. My Mobo and GPU's lights keep going (as they're in sync), but it catches up to the color it should of been at when the system resumes.

I open task manager before the issue happens but it's not telling me much. I do see spikes but it varies from SSD, to HDD to GPU to CPU. I took it in the shop and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the hardware. They stressed tested it and everything. I believe this issue is software related. It happens every hour and at random moments...not when anything intensive is happening on screen either.

My other options are is it keyboard RGB software icue related? Asus Aura sync software related? Everything on my PC is updated as well. Will having this issue damage my PC? Again...no piece of hardware is damaged and everything works fine.... except for this one issue. You guys have any ideas?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If it's truly random, that'll be a nightmare to detect.
Are you monitoring CPU temps?

Remove any overclocks & remove any non-critical software (RGB etc) for testing purposes, see if the issue persists.

If that doesn't work, it's either a rogue application, the OS itself or something hardware related.
A clean OS install is where I'd look at that stage, see if the issue persists on a true clean slate.

Kalizy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
can be a problem with windows itself or a corrupted driver and if u said that there's no HW problem then you should probably check your windows' integrity

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
No drivers were found to be corrupted. However, when I do get my PC back, how would I check for that? I have to plug in my keyboard, monitor and mouse and headset so I'll look for that. Also, would you suggest me going to the control panel and un installing Icue? or any other method? My last resort would have to be re installing Windows but if they found nothing, then perhaps it's something with one of the parts I just mentioned. It's also not temperatures either.

There is one test you can perform to get an indication wheter it is a driver problem or hardware problem - you can do this as long as it is not the gaming software itself that cause the issues.

Go and get a Linux Live-CD, boot and run it. Do internet activity for some hours, and if it works without any noticeable problems (exept for lag causing by dvd-rom read performance) you can assume there is a software issue.

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Could this issue damage any piece of hardware though? If I truly can't find the issue to this, will I be okay? I'm just not that tech savvy when it comes to troubleshooting something as complex as a PC. There can be so many different possibilities that I don't think I can even find a way to find what is causing all this

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's extremely unlikely.

A bad PSU (for example) could cause a system to 'hang', but wouldn't be as described.
In that instance though, damage could theoretically occur to the system. Not as a direct result of the 'hangs', but because of the underlying cause.
Same deal here, without knowing what the actual problem is, damage is theoretically possible. Chances are pretty slim IMO, but still possible.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If it's software related, your hardware won't be damaged.

You run the risk of corrupting files etc - similarly, a very slim chance, but theoretically possible.
Just ensure you're backing up any critical files you cannot afford to lose to be in the safeside - although if you have 'critical' docs, you'd be backing them up already..... right?

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Don't have any critical docs but I'd do that for sure if I did. Yeah, the guys said they couldn't find anything hardware related. Stressed tested and everything. So like I said before, it's either my mouse (doubt it), monitor (had to RMA my old one as they sent me one with a broken bulb but I doubt that caused it) and my keyboard or headset. My keyboard is probably the biggest culprit that may be causing this. I'll have to see. One time I totally lost functionality of my keyboard all together. Re plugged both in a USB 2.0 and it worked. If it was any port related matter they would also know. So it's either the keyboard or my two rgb software (one for Corsair, and the other one Asus) that may be conflicting.