what can i do.. about this.. what is it..

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
no signal to the monitor.. this computer was built and running only for 2 days.. fans and everything seem to run.. but monitor no go.. what can the problem be?? video carD? motherboard.. everythings new.. help please.............

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
First. Do you get a POST? Any beeps on startup? Do you ever get ANY video output at any time?
Second. Need component specs to help sort out any options...

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
no post no video no nothing.. my possible thoughts are.. motherboard dont work.. video card dont work.. or the monitor is just too old .. and doesn't work no more........... well this computer has everything new put it together.. everything ran good to OS.. this morning turned on left room.. came back 2 mins later no signal...

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ @ 2.4
1GB patriot ram pc 6400 ddr2 800
ECS nforce4ma (ver 3.0)
gigabyte nvidia 256
WD 80gb\

monitor is an old monitor i had lying around.. it could be that monitor just gave out because it couldnt handle the graphics card?.. but i don't know yet...

either monitor.. graphics card... motherboard.. help

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
no post no video no nothing.. my possible thoughts are.. motherboard dont work.. video card dont work.. or the monitor is just too old .. and doesn't work no more........... well this computer has everything new put it together.. everything ran good to OS.. this morning turned on left room.. came back 2 mins later no signal...

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ @ 2.4
1GB patriot ram pc 6400 ddr2 800
ECS nforce4ma (ver 3.0)
gigabyte nvidia 256
WD 80gb\

monitor is an old monitor i had lying around.. it could be that monitor just gave out because it couldnt handle the graphics card?.. but i don't know yet...

either monitor.. graphics card... motherboard.. help
Well, it's not the monitor. You would hear the POST beep as well as hard drive activity, even if you couldn't see anything on the screen. It also is not the hard drive. That leaves mobo, cpu, videocard. At this point all I would know what to do involves swapping parts to narrow things down. I was hoping you had integrated graphics available as well.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
its not monitor becuz i tried on a new monitor.. and its not video card becuz i just went out and bought one to test and its the same.. it has to be the motherboard.......... i dont think its cpu becuz temps were fine and it ran fine... motherboard is my last theory... oh and if i removed heatsink and cpu and install onto anohter mobo .. i need to get thermal paste as well and re apply it ?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
its not monitor becuz i tried on a new monitor.. and its not video card becuz i just went out and bought one to test and its the same.. it has to be the motherboard.......... i dont think its cpu becuz temps were fine and it ran fine... motherboard is my last theory... oh and if i removed heatsink and cpu and install onto anohter mobo .. i need to get thermal paste as well and re apply it ?
Yes.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I agree with your analysis. CPUs rarely fail. Your videocard test now points to the motherboard as the likely suspect.
Yes, you need new thermal grease every time you remove the heatsink. Use rubbing alcohol to carefully remove all of the old grease. Let it dry completely, (won't take long), and apply new.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
In cases like this - you need to minimize the possibilities - which it seems you have done. Anything left is a likely culprit.

I would suggest trying to boot off of one stick of memory, and then the other. Occasionally there is a problem with detecting memory, and that can cause a freeze - even if it was once working.

Give it a try at least - chances are it is the mother board.

Good luck.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
yeah dumb ass motherboard tho.. and heads up its and ECS nforce4ma (3.0) now i gotta spend some more money and i kant use my comp .. but yeah motherboard is what im replacing... also when i turn it on i gotta hold power button like 5 secs to turn it off i do think motherboard has to be so..