What can I do? New, used or just next gen?

UcShrek

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
My current Gaming rig:
- Core i7 4790K OC’ed @ 4.7 GHz
- Gigabyte GZ97Z Gaming 5 Mobo
- 16 GSkill Ram
- 250 Samsung SSD x 3
- EVGA 750W PSU Supernova
- Acer 32” 1440p 75 Hz Monitor
- I am going with a GTX 1080Ti, because I want to get 2 more 1440 monitors for Nvidia Surround
- My gaming is for Flight Sims like DCS:FC3, FSX:SE and some new Sims that are coming out by the end of this year
- FPS: Battlefield titles, Rainbow Six, and Arma 3
- (Had) Asus Strix GTX 970, got replaced under warranty but the refurbish unit died on me also after warranty, so no more replacements, besides I just don’t want to deal with all the hassle.

So, I am considering a few options for the next GPU, but I have many questions/concerns:
- How reliable is going to be a used GPU? I am thinking more of a mining GPU, most likely would be a better choice in terms of life expectancy, and reliability
- I know some manufacturers have transferable warranties, but how can I assure that this could be something I can work with?
- Should I ask for proofs of purchase and if GPU has been registered at manufacturers website?
- If I want to go new with a GTX 1080Ti, would it be better for me just to wait a little bit longer to see if there will be any last products discounts? Is this going to be happening anytime soon?
- Some new GTX 1080Ti from ZOTAC are very tempting, but how is this brand compared to ASUS, EVGA, MSI or Gigabyte? I have always used these brands because they are recognized brands and more reliable, how does ZOTEK stand versus these brands?
- Apparently the new 2080 seems to be a little bit faster than the 1080Ti, but still as 8GB VRam, how would this perform in the triple 1440p monitor settings compared to a 1080Ti?
- What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I will do something in the next 2-3 weeks, as I can no longer game I should be buying this very soon, but I would like to see what can be the best option for me, thanks in advance.

Solution
1. Mining GPUs are probably not a good choice, because the whole purpose of a mining rig is for it to be used at near-max capacity 24/7 to maximize the owner's mining stash. Would you want a CPU that's been used at 80-90% or higher usage 24/7 for most of its life? Of course not.

2. For transferring warranties, it will depend on the manufacturer of that specific model. However, I'm not sure how many have warranties that last longer than a year anyway, so there might not be much of an option there.

3. Yes, definitely. If they still have proof of purchase, you'd need it to register it for yourself if they haven't already...& if there's any chance that the manufacturer will switch the registration, you'll almost certainly need the...

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
1. Mining GPUs are probably not a good choice, because the whole purpose of a mining rig is for it to be used at near-max capacity 24/7 to maximize the owner's mining stash. Would you want a CPU that's been used at 80-90% or higher usage 24/7 for most of its life? Of course not.

2. For transferring warranties, it will depend on the manufacturer of that specific model. However, I'm not sure how many have warranties that last longer than a year anyway, so there might not be much of an option there.

3. Yes, definitely. If they still have proof of purchase, you'd need it to register it for yourself if they haven't already...& if there's any chance that the manufacturer will switch the registration, you'll almost certainly need the documentation.

4. That's up to you. We can't read nVidia's minds, so whether they'll discount them any more or not is a crapshoot.

5. Good question. They're probably OK, but someone with more knowledge about the brand might have a more informed answer.

6. In non-gameplay, probably no difference. Gaming-wise...you'll have to wait for actual benchmarks, as I never trust the manufacturer's ad copy -- sorry, "reported performance claims" -- as being 100% accurate (& sometimes not even truthful).

Solution

Caleb Hale

Distinguished
May 17, 2013
I would not gamble with a used or refurbished GPU with all the mining going on (unless you're buying from someone you know personally). Those things have hundreds if not thousands of hours running at nearly 100% maxed out capacity.

TRENDING THREADS