[SOLVED] What can I do to get windows 10 to ask for my password or pin again?

PapaHomey

Honorable
Apr 17, 2015
This actually has to do with failing to qualify for win 11, because of secure boot.

I have a motherboard that has TPM 2.0 and secure boot. I activated them in EUFI and that
damn app still says that I don't have secure boot enabled.

The only thing I can think of is that a while ago I followed a how to article on how to prevent
windows from requiring a password or pin. It currently defaults to my account without
signing in.

DOES anyone know how to reactivate the password or pin request?

Solution
With Windows 11 not at all ready for general use and not knowing what the "how to" article actually had you do it is likely that the problem is beyond the scope of this Forum.

Start here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-a386c519-3ab2-b873-1e9b-bb228a98b904

There are also Forum Rules regarding assistance with passwords, security, etc....

Normally I would close this thread on that basis.

However, I am going to move your post from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

There are a number of veteran Moderators involved with Windows 11, TPM, and similar issues.

I will defer to their judgement as to what, if any, further assistance is allowable.

Moderator Note: Moving...

Ralston18

Titan
With Windows 11 not at all ready for general use and not knowing what the "how to" article actually had you do it is likely that the problem is beyond the scope of this Forum.

Start here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-a386c519-3ab2-b873-1e9b-bb228a98b904

There are also Forum Rules regarding assistance with passwords, security, etc....

Normally I would close this thread on that basis.

However, I am going to move your post from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

There are a number of veteran Moderators involved with Windows 11, TPM, and similar issues.

I will defer to their judgement as to what, if any, further assistance is allowable.

Moderator Note: Moving thread from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only thing I can think of is that a while ago I followed a how to article on how to prevent
windows from requiring a password or pin. It currently defaults to my account without
signing in.
do you mean you have auto logon set up?

Also, I doubt that have anytihng to do with windows 10 saying Secure boot is off when its really on, that seems to be more a bug with windows as you not only one with that problem

I feel worrying about it now is a waste of time. Wait until 11 is out and then you can always clean install 11 and it will fix itself.

Hi pappa , i asume your currently getting to the desktop without microsoft asking you for your pin or password.

When you wanted microsoft to stop asking you for your password did you type netplwiz into the run box , if you did then just repeat that and undo the ticked/unticked boxes that come up.

If you enabled Secure boot in BIOS but Windows still says its disabled the likely cause is that you have CSM/Legacy support enabled in BIOS. It seems like there are two kind of motherboards out there: one type will not let you enable SB with CSM enabled; the other one will let you do that but just ignore it for as long as CSM is enabled. IMPORTANT NOTE: don't rush to disable CSM just yet- this can cause your system to be unable to boot. Make sure your boot drive is GPT and your video card is UEFI capable before you mess with CSM settings.

TRENDING THREADS