Question What can I do to improve 3090 OC ?

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hey all,

I've been doing some manual OC of my 3090 strix (non OC)

set power limit to 110% (should be 380w)
set 1920 Mhz at 0.875 mV
did not touch core clock slider
+250 on memory

did not crash in any benchmarks, but did not pass time spy extreme stress test (got 96.5%)

on timespy 1440p benchmark, got 20450 graphics score
on timespy extreme benchmark, got 10350 graphics score
on port royal, got 13800 score

69C on temps with 2170 rpm fan speeds
core frequencies seem to bounce between 1830 and 1920.

any recommendations to improve this?
should I be worried about the failing stress test score?

I'm mostly looking for a stable 24/7 OC, and would rather not increase temps/fan speeds past what they are now.

Appreciate any help!

Lutfij

Titan
As a note, there will be instances where your GPU passes with flying colors in stress testing apps but is unstable when taxed with a game/title. You might want to fire up a game that you play on your rig(if the card is meant for gaming and not just chasing benchmarking scores) and see if the card is stable under your current overclocks. Power is often times the limiter with overclocks, if not, then it's thermals. What sort of ambient air temps are you seeing and what sort of an airflow are you working with?

Make and model of your PSU in the build?

Reactions: Juffbox
I have a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC and played with overclocking. The 3080 like the 3090 has little overclocking headroom. Although I could improve the numbers in synthetic benchmarks the real world fps gains in games were tiny and unnoticeable to the gaming experience. I could also find settings that were stable in benchmarks but not stable in certain games. I’ve put the card back to stock, the overclocking just wasn’t worth the extra heat and power for negligible FPS gain.

alexbirdie

Respectable
I’ve put the card back to stock, the overclocking just wasn’t worth the extra heat and power for negligible FPS gain.

Would be great, if everybody would think like you. I do.

I do not understand, why somebody needs to overclock a RTX 3090.

Either a program/game is so badly programmed, that even with this card does have about 60 FPS ( like MS flight simulator), than few frames more does not make any difference.

And if there is a game having 200-300 fps, than any difference cannot be even realized.

Therefore: Overclocking what for?

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
As a note, there will be instances where your GPU passes with flying colors in stress testing apps but is unstable when taxed with a game/title. You might want to fire up a game that you play on your rig(if the card is meant for gaming and not just chasing benchmarking scores) and see if the card is stable under your current overclocks. Power is often times the limiter with overclocks, if not, then it's thermals. What sort of ambient air temps are you seeing and what sort of an airflow are you working with?

Make and model of your PSU in the build?

You're exactly right, I didn't see any issues during benchmarks and stress tests, but the card crashed 1 hour into playing Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k. I dialed down the core clocks 30 Mhz and it seems to be holding so far. I've noticed that since I've ended my frequency/voltage curve at 0.875 mV the card isn't using all of its power budget. So I'm guessing next step is to fill out the rest of the voltage curve?

So at 25 C ambient, I was getting 69 C on the core and 84 C on the Vram. I'm using a Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh, with 280mm AIO at the front, 140mm fans at the top, 120mm fan in the back, and 2x 120 mm fans below the GPU as intake. I dialed in an aggressive GPU fan curve and it seems to have helped bring temps down to 67 C.

PSU is a Corsair HX1000.

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
I have a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC and played with overclocking. The 3080 like the 3090 has little overclocking headroom. Although I could improve the numbers in synthetic benchmarks the real world fps gains in games were tiny and unnoticeable to the gaming experience. I could also find settings that were stable in benchmarks but not stable in certain games. I’ve put the card back to stock, the overclocking just wasn’t worth the extra heat and power for negligible FPS gain.

Hey Sizzling, since your card already has a factory OC, you're pretty much set to get a good experience from your card. My 3090 had no OCs out of the box so it wasn't boosting as high as I had expected, and I was curious about the overclocking experience so I decided to try it.

You're completely right about the temperatures, although a bit of undervolting can help reduce the temperatures.