Aug 10, 2010
Current Rig
MOBO: Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 880G R
Video card: Gigabyte Geforce 460 1gb
Power supply: OCZ 550W RT
CPU: AMD PH II X4 995BE 3.2G AM3
Ram: 2x2 GSkill F3-12800CL7D - 4GBRM
Hard drive: HD 500g Samsung

So I am thinking, upgrade ram, get 2nd video card and SLI it, and newer processor, and maybe new motherboard? If I should.

I have never SLI'd and although my mobo supports it, Idk if it would fit, due to some cord plug ins being in the way.

If I got new ram, should I upgrade to 2x4gb or just get 2x2gb more, and still have 8gb total?

Would like some feedback, thanks in advance.

gussrtk

Honorable
get a cpu cooler, Overclock that cpu. (minimize cost) [bring it closer to 4ghz]

get another 4gb ram. just go 4x2gb (to minimize cost) [8gb will outlive the use of this computer as far as next upgrade goes]

motherboard supports only crossfire.

maybe get a newer graphics card a 7850 would be worth it.

kolkim

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I picked Geforce because I thought Nvidia and AMD is a good combo and intel and Radeon is a good combo?

Would it be better to replace the motherboard?

My friend has the exact graphics card so he would be down to buy my graphics card for him to SLI while I get a 7850 or whatever if AMD and Radeon has nothing wrong with it.

Are you saying that overclocking my processor would be as good as replacing it?

gussrtk

Honorable

how much are you willing to spend?

cuz if you really wish. you could go in path of

i3-3220
new motherboard
new videocard
extra 4gb ram

which will be around 400$ bucks (maybe less)

========================================

or

i5 - 3570k with OC
new motherboard
7870 radeon gpu
4gb ram

around 600+ dollars (rough estimate)

if your chip is already running 3.2Ghz i think you can OC it to 4Ghz add 4gb ram and get a new vid card.

also, which psu do you have

kolkim

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

I said my PSU in the beg post, a OCZ 550W.

I would like to change either the processor OR the mobo, not both. So either change the processor to a newer better AMD or mobo to support SLI.

I think I might take the advice of OC my processor with a better heatsink and upgrade my graphics card to a 7870 or something similar. Can somebody recommend me a good heat sink/fan and case fan for my computer? Not interested in water cooling.

gussrtk

Honorable

from what i see in AM3 sockets, your choices are for lets say under 100$ is all basically same cpu but clocked higher, so I think OC will prolly be the choice

you can get hyper Evo 212 cpu cooler, its about 30$ and does a great job

you know... eitherway. when you see how much you can push your cpu, maybe you will like it... maybe you wont... because i cant even say how much you can OC because it matters on your motherboard/cpu stability. but if you are really not satisfied, you can try going for
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-hdt45twfgrbox
use the same cooler (cooler is good for gaming, cuz stock ones suck)
im just saying this to tell you that its not a waste of money if you are in the end not happy with just OC
1045t is a higher tier

gussrtk

Honorable

lolz i was wondering what the *** is 995... although i seemed to have found it... but 955 makes a lot more sense

Someone please tell him/her to overclock it to 4.0GHz. It should be capable and it would make a great impact! Why else would you buy that setup? I'm not asking.