[SOLVED] What can I do with a Core 2 Quad Q6600

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
We have a ancient Q6600 Core 2 Quad chip with a 760 GTX rig that is slow as a Turtle ,,, no phun,,, I want to dismantle the computer and put it in another case that we have which is a really sweet looking case as the Q6600 is on a crummy small ITX case. That is my current project as a must do list. Thing is the PC is not going to get any faster just gonna look nice lol. What are the uses for this ancient chip? NAS? Even surfing the net its so laggy. Besides a NAS what can I do. Can I do mining on this thing or Folding@Home ? I mean the thing is slow motion its agonising but I don't want to throw it in the trash ya know. Any recommendations and comments are welcome. Thank you

Solution
You'll burn more in electricity than you make in mining. Even if your electricity is free, you're mining will be as slow as molasses in January. Not worth it at all.
I agree on the web browsing use. Light word processing should be fine too, but you would need an SSD, as @logainofhades said.

Apart from trashing it, you could drill a hole in it and sell/use it as a key chain bauble, or something like that.
You'll burn more in electricity than you make in mining. Even if your electricity is free, you're mining will be as slow as molasses in January. Not worth it at all.
I agree on the web browsing use. Light word processing should be fine too, but you would need an SSD, as @logainofhades said.

Apart from trashing it, you could drill a hole in it and sell/use it as a key chain bauble, or something like that.

Solution
Lots of stuff that machine can do, but it's obviously super low on ram right now. If you can't put in 8gb of ram, max it out to 4gb and use an older version of linux that will run fast and smooth as a general internet computer.

Another use would be as a nas unit running freenas.

You can also use it as a router with pfsense.

You can also use is as a vintage game system running xp and games from that era. You can even combine this with the steadystate add-on and be impervious to any malware and connect to the Internet without worry.

There's lots of uses for one. Definitely do NOT throw it away.