Question What can I do with my old amp?

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I've got an "old" Sony STR-DN1040 multi channel amp that is gathering dust, and I want to know whether there is any point in trying to do something with it, or whether it's time to sell it on.

At the moment it's plugged into my PC (I think....! I might not have plugged it back in?!) using an HDMI cable and is hooked up to some old Sony 5.0 surround speakers (2 nice bookshelf speakers and 3 satellites). I question whether it's plugged in, because I can't remember the last time I used it to output from my PC! A year ago?? I mostly use a gaming headset into the headphone jack on my PC now. I feel like I probably should have speakers for the PC just in case, but using the amp seems overkill! Also everything takes up space I'm perhaps lacking in this room.

I do some light beginner audio stuff on my PC with a Scarlett 4i4 audio interface for my n00b guitar and keyboard skillz / midlife crisis, and a Vox Adio Air GT practice amp for the guitar. but again, mainly use headphones (and obviously the vox amp has a speaker). Maybe I'll be posting about those gathering dust in a few years? (Or maybe I'll be on the cover of Rolling Stone? Who knows...!)

The house is completely Sonos'd. - TV has a playbar plus 2 x Sonos Play 1's (and a Sonos Play 5 going spare too), I've got Play 1's dotted about the house too. So I don't see a need for an amp in the living room.

If I could use Sonos speakers as my PC speakers, I'd probably do that, but last time I looked (maybe 5 years ago?) it didn't seem to be possible / worthwhile - and that seems a more expensive option than it needs to be (though I could use my "spare" Play 5 and the Play 1 already in my room - so maybe I only need another Play 1?).

So what would you do? Get rid of the amp? Keep the amp but use it for something else? What audio would you hook the PC up to? and if at some point in the future I'm an excellent instrumentalist and want to create music using a DAW?

TRENDING THREADS