Dec 7, 2019
So my problem came about 4 months ago when I heard noise coming from my laptop, it sounded like an old hdd which was crazy because I have an ssd installed.
A few days passed by and I decided to disassemble my laptop to change the thermal paste, changed the old one for some arctic 5, all set and done, assembled my laptop and hit the power button...nothing, I thought maybe I forgot to plug something...double checked, triple checked and nothing, the laptop still didn't turn on.
Decided I should take it to a laptop repair shop and so I did, the guys called me in a few days and told me that some kind of controlled on my mobo was fried and they cannot find another one because the mobo is too new, I bought the laptop last year ( I voided my warranty when I upgraded to ssd and added another stick of ram).
The guys told me to call them back and so I did but they told me they can't find the cobtroller..so now im asking you guys, what do you think ?
Should I buy another motherboard ?
Should I keep trying with the repair shop ?
It is there a ghetto way to bring it back to life ?
All help is appreciated
Motherboard : Asus x541uvk with i5 7200U and Nvidia geforce 920mx + 4gb of ram soldered on the mobo

P.s. when I connect the power cord to the laptop there is a small "chip" ( sorry don't really know how to explain) on the mobo that gets burning hot in about 3 seconds, same happens if I only let the battery connected to the laptop.

Solution
It's possible that the power delivery to the board might've been fried. Now that could be chalked up as faulty from the manufacturer unless you've tampered with the board physically by soldering something on or off the board.

I'm curious to learn where you're located since the laptop's warranty isn't void when you add parts into a laptop that has the provision for an upgrade.

If you're truly out of options with the laptop, then sourcing a replacement motherbaord would be the route to go. You might want to do a small analysis as to how much will be spent at the end of all this, since you and others often forget that it might've been feasible to just buy a new laptop at this point, if costs/resources spent for repair are high.

Lutfij

Titan
It's possible that the power delivery to the board might've been fried. Now that could be chalked up as faulty from the manufacturer unless you've tampered with the board physically by soldering something on or off the board.

I'm curious to learn where you're located since the laptop's warranty isn't void when you add parts into a laptop that has the provision for an upgrade.

If you're truly out of options with the laptop, then sourcing a replacement motherbaord would be the route to go. You might want to do a small analysis as to how much will be spent at the end of all this, since you and others often forget that it might've been feasible to just buy a new laptop at this point, if costs/resources spent for repair are high.

Solution