What can I get for $2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2018
Hey guys,

I am starting a hardcore gaming series and I am looking to buy a upgradable laptop under $2000.

The laptop should have:

1) Core i7 (you cant upgrade a processor in a laptop)
2) 500gb HDD
3) ram extendable to 32GB DDR4
4) An upgradable graphics card
5) maximum 18 inches
6) No more than $2000

So, what do you guys think? Leave links below!

Thanks!

Solution
If you want the ability to upgrade the GPU, you might instead look for one that supports external graphics via Thunderbolt 3, so that you have the option of putting a desktop graphics card in an eGPU enclosure in the future, and plugging that in to get more graphics performance when at your desk. The external card will see a big performance hit compared to being installed directly in a system, but the desktop GPUs available in a couple years will undoubtedly still offer decent upgrade options over what you will get in the system today. Otherwise, you'll probably have a hard time finding a good laptop that allows for its internal graphics to be upgraded.

If you intend to do most of your gaming at home anyway, it might be better to...
If you want the ability to upgrade the GPU, you might instead look for one that supports external graphics via Thunderbolt 3, so that you have the option of putting a desktop graphics card in an eGPU enclosure in the future, and plugging that in to get more graphics performance when at your desk. The external card will see a big performance hit compared to being installed directly in a system, but the desktop GPUs available in a couple years will undoubtedly still offer decent upgrade options over what you will get in the system today. Otherwise, you'll probably have a hard time finding a good laptop that allows for its internal graphics to be upgraded.

If you intend to do most of your gaming at home anyway, it might be better to just build a desktop system, and complement that with a smaller, less expensive laptop to be used for mostly non-gaming purposes when you are out. For $2000 you could probably get both, while getting more performance and upgradability out of the desktop system.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.