What can I put in an empty SSD slot? (besides SSDs)

Netherspark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
I've got this new case with a big clear window, and right in full view are three vertical SSD mounts. I've got an SSD for one slot, a Hue+ for another slot... but I currently have nothing to go in the third slot. I'd prefer not to leave it empty for aesthetic reasons.

But I can't think of anything that could fit in there, other than more SSDs. Any ideas? Could be literally anything, as long as it doesn't look ugly.

CA-1H2-00M1WN-00-10.jpg

Solution
Some drives in external enclosures do actually die faster in a vertical orientation. It was linked to reduced airflow and heat buildup. But the reverse was also true, it depended on the enclosure design. And anecdotally vertically oriented external drives just get knocked over more often and fail for that reason. There was also that infamous Backblaze study where they were using consumer Seagates in custom racks under conditions that the drives weren't rated for. Again, heat buildup but also vibrations.

Anyway, it's unlikely any of this matters to the OP. I'd probably go with another drive for extra storage. But for aesthetic purposes, perhaps something like an old CPU package mounted into a frame. Or a classic, like this timeless belt...

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
2.5" HDDs would most probably also fit, but I'd strongly recommend another SSD over it, as HDDs tend to "dislike" (fail earlier) when put in a vertical rather than a horizontal position.

This is not true at all, HDD's don't care about orientation. We have plenty of desktop PC's when they are stood vertically their hard drives are also vertical. Also lots of servers orient drives vertically to get high density

Some drives in external enclosures do actually die faster in a vertical orientation. It was linked to reduced airflow and heat buildup. But the reverse was also true, it depended on the enclosure design. And anecdotally vertically oriented external drives just get knocked over more often and fail for that reason. There was also that infamous Backblaze study where they were using consumer Seagates in custom racks under conditions that the drives weren't rated for. Again, heat buildup but also vibrations.

Anyway, it's unlikely any of this matters to the OP. I'd probably go with another drive for extra storage. But for aesthetic purposes, perhaps something like an old CPU package mounted into a frame. Or a classic, like this timeless belt buckle:

gurtelschnalle_don_t_panic_rectangular_belt_buckle-rf5a02495b30343049a8e33e6107e5216_fedq0_8byvr_540.jpg

Solution

TRENDING THREADS