[SOLVED] What can I upgrade? (Pre built computer)

biruz117

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Specs:
I7 6700; Gtx 950; 12 GB DDR4 2133MHz; 300 watts psu;
Expansion slots:
1 x PCI-e x 1
1 x PCI-e x 16
1 x mini PCI-e
Anyway, this build is pretty outdated, but i'd like to upgrade my graphics card so I could play some decent games, I just don't know what can I upgrade, or if it will fit in the expansion slots.
I think I first need to upgrade my psu before anything to something like 700 watts? Now what graphics cards can I upgrade to? Are the expansion slots limitating me a lot? Should I replace my motherboard too?

Solution
You should be able to run a GTX1050ti or GTX1650 with the psu you have.
It will be a major boost in gaming over integrated graphics,

I suggest a EVGA unit and see how you do.
If you think you might need something even stronger, EVGA has a free 90 day trade up option.
Read the requirements on their web site.

If you think you might need something even stronger, EVGA has a free 90 day trade up option.

Reactions: biruz117
Solution

biruz117

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
What model pre-built is it? If you get a decent 450W PSU (they are usually less expensive) , you may be able to grab a GTX 1650 Super for an inexpensive mega boost. Of course, the best would be to replace the PSU with something bigger.

How much are you willing to spend?
I can easily replace my psu to something up to 650-700, the thing is that I don't understand if any graphics card would fit in the expansion slots, I don't know if it refers to 2.0 or 3.0, I don't understand that, and when searching on google I still didn't understand it. I'd be fine with buying the 1650S, it would be perfect, I just don't understand if it fits.

biruz117

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020

Thanks, I will look into it. The only thing that worries me is the expansion slots since I don't understand anything about 2.0 or 3.0 and what does it need to have

Modern graphics cards install in pcie x16 slots. Older pci slots are no longer used.
Pcie slots can transfer data at maximum speeds as determined by the capability of the slot.
pcie 3 has a higher limit than 2.
But, transfer speeds usually are not a limiting factor excepting for the very top end cards like a RTX2080ti, and that impact is only in the low single digits.
pcie 2 or 3 is not an issue with any card you might want to install.

But...
Modern cards may only be supported on motherboards with a UEFI bios.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Does it have a uefi bios?
Legacy support may be there if the card is engineered to work with a legacy bios.
It is best to check out the particular make/model of your candidate cards.
You may need to use an older gen card.

biruz117

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Modern graphics cards install in pcie x16 slots. Older pci slots are no longer used.
Pcie slots can transfer data at maximum speeds as determined by the capability of the slot.
pcie 3 has a higher limit than 2.
But, transfer speeds usually are not a limiting factor excepting for the very top end cards like a RTX2080ti, and that impact is only in the low single digits.
pcie 2 or 3 is not an issue with any card you might want to install.

But...
Modern cards may only be supported on motherboards with a UEFI bios.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Does it have a uefi bios?
Legacy support may be there if the card is engineered to work with a legacy bios.
It is best to check out the particular make/model of your candidate cards.
You may need to use an older gen card.
My mother board has UEFI I guess
This is what's on my system information at least.
It's in portuguese but it's written Version of bios, Bios mode/type, Fabricant of motherboard, and product of bios which is the model G11CD.

So, am I good to upgrade?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The Evga 600W Geofelt mentioned above would be a good low end choice. Another is the Seasonic S12III 650.
Then you could grab just about any card you want. Your system no doubt is PCIe 3.0, but the PCI Express interface is forward/backward compatible (with very few exceptions). So, PCIe version isn't an issue when getting a card.