[SOLVED] What can I upgrade to from MSI nVidia GT 710?

Apr 18, 2020
I'm going to buy a compact PC Lenovo M92p. I would eventually want to upgrade the graphic card (MSI GT 710). What kind of graphics can I upgrade to? What does it depend on? I don't know much about it. It doesn't have to be very powerful, but better than 710 (I found GTX 580 and 660 for good prices, but I don't know if I can swap it for them - I guess I can't, because I need something low profile). Could Quadro 4000 work?

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you. I kind of hoped it will be easier, but quite expected something like this. Well, I'll have to think about it. That PC has glvery good everything except for the graphics card for a good price. But maybe I'll try something else.

Generally speaking, the best thing to do if you want a SFF is to build a PC with a SFF. That way, you're not handcuffed with proprietary parts, which tend to plague small builds.

If you're going with a prebuilt, it's almost always better to go with a larger one. They tend to be more upgradeable and you're more likely to get standard parts that you can buy from any aftermarket company. They're also easier to service, which is important given that pre-builts generally have very short...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
This is a very poor choice if you intend to upgrade. You'll only be able to use low profile, single slot GPUs, which only limits you to a handful, and you'll almost certainly have to upgrade what is a proprietary SFF PSU. Some versions of that model (there are a lot of configs) come with PSUs that only have external adapters and are <100W.

Unless you're extremely experienced, never buy a small form factor prebuilt with the intention of significant upgrades of this type.

Reactions: jsi3366
Apr 18, 2020
Thank you. I kind of hoped it will be easier, but quite expected something like this. Well, I'll have to think about it. That PC has glvery good everything except for the graphics card for a good price. But maybe I'll try something else.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Generally speaking, the best thing to do if you want a SFF is to build a PC with a SFF. That way, you're not handcuffed with proprietary parts, which tend to plague small builds.

If you're going with a prebuilt, it's almost always better to go with a larger one. They tend to be more upgradeable and you're more likely to get standard parts that you can buy from any aftermarket company. They're also easier to service, which is important given that pre-builts generally have very short warranty periods.

Solution
Apr 18, 2020
So I talked to the seller, he said the maximum power consumption for the graphic card is 75W. That means graphic cards like GTX 750ti, GT 1030, GTX 1050, GTX1050ti and GTX1650 (most powerful suitable option) can be used. Also Quadro K2200 if low profile is found.
I bought the PC and put there a passively cooled GT 1030, because I had quite low budget and don't need so much power. It works well.

TRENDING THREADS