What can I upgrade?

vhbug

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I'm looking for advice on which parts I can upgrade in my computer to squeeze out more performance in online gaming.

Here's the info I have on it:

CPU: Dell Inspiron 560 Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5700 @ 3.00Ghz
RAM: 8Gb DDR3 PC3-10600
GFX: XFX ATI Radeon HD 6770
PSU: Corsair Builder 500w

and I don't know if it helps any but the motherboard is manufactured by Dell, Model# 018D1Y. 775 LGA socket.

popatim

Titan
yes so thats the upgrade I would recommend. New motherbd and cpu. Reuse the ram and drives and everything else. Pay attention to the drive connectors and if you have any ata to make sure the new motherbd has them also.
I'd shoot for an i5 if you can but even an i3-2100 will outperform your current pc.

your ram is 1333 so it should work fine.

lastly there may be an issue of your windows 7 license. I wont work on Dell's so I dont know if, or how easily it will transfer to a new motherbd.

popatim

Titan

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Before you start buying anything you probably have to buy a new OS for your system since the computer seems to be a prebuilt from Dell and last time I checked they don't transfer. Other than that take the suggestions pop has suggested. Cheers.

popatim

Titan
Theres a fair chance that the current install will be able to boot and repair itself if you go into the bios and make sure the sata ports are set to legacy before you boot up for the first time. You can change the sata drivers later and then go into the bios and change the sata port type and reboot using the new technology. This only works sometimes. How long it will run before windows gives you an activation issue is the unknown.