[SOLVED] what can i use as an alternative to a m.2 standoff?

Shogunate

Prominent
Sep 8, 2020
I used to plug my nvme m.2 into my motherboard with no standoffs and it only lasted 2 months with me, i realized my mistake and now i want to know if there are any alternatives whilst i wait for my replacement screws.

Solution
You could attach the NVMe to an adapter card that fits in the slots. The adapter cards come with necessary screws. 15 or 20 dollars. I use one.

Good luck on getting the right tiny tiny tiny screws to hold down the M.2 drive in its normal location on the motherboard.

Shogunate

Prominent
Sep 8, 2020
You could attach the NVMe to an adapter card that fits in the slots. The adapter cards come with necessary screws. 15 or 20 dollars. I use one.

Good luck on getting the right tiny tiny tiny screws to hold down the M.2 drive in its normal location on the motherboard.
does it not affect the speed of the nvme?

Remmik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
I used to plug my nvme m.2 into my motherboard with no standoffs and it only lasted 2 months with me, i realized my mistake and now i want to know if there are any alternatives whilst i wait for my replacement screws.
You can literally use tape. Something that can take some heat (not electrical tape or scotch tape). The SSD just needs to be in the flat position to make a solid connection and tape can do the job. Just catch the edge of the board and try not to cover the chip as you don’t want to trap heat (SSD’s run hot).
As a side note advise; buy a heatsinks for that SSD. They are cheap and most any one will help with the heat. Most are low profile and will work even if your m.2 slot is under a graphics card. I’ve even used ones with tiny built in fans and larger ones that had heat pipes (when no card was inserted near it).

Reactions: Shogunate