What can I use to plug an xbox and my computer into this 1 Display port monitor?

Netsurfer733

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
I have this computer monitor: https://www.amazon.com/SWIFT-PG278Q-27-inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00MSOND8C

And I love it except I was surprised that I am unable to plug more than 1 Display port piece of equipment in at a time. So right now I have my computer hooked into it, but I would love to be able to bring my xbox one over and use it on this monitor, but I physically can't because the display port is being used up by my computer.

What devices out there would you recommend I use that would offer good latency for gaming etc.? Some sort of splitter that would allow me to switch between the two with the push of a button that is of good quality - what would be best?

Solution

This display has one Display-Port input.
Your computer is plugged...

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
Its been a couple years but im pretty confident all consoles in the last 10 years use HDMI

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016

This display has one Display-Port input.
Your computer is plugged in to this input.
Your XBOX One does not have a Display-Port output. It only has HDMI output.

You need an adapter that converts the output signal from your XBOX One HDMI source, to DisplayPort.

Check this out:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-HDMI-DisplayPort-Converter-Adapter/dp/B004I6IYSM?th=1

The description seems to support your exact configuration.

Also, you might want to invest in a Display-Port switch of some sort, so you don't have to unplug and plug back in every time you want to switch inputs.
Warning: having a switch and an adapter, in this scenario, might not work.

Solution

Netsurfer733

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013

That...would be really awesome to know lol. Where can I go to find out if that would work or not to have the two adapters before I buy them?

And there aren't any other options to get an adapter from HDMI to one of my USB ports, right? Could that somehow display my xbox?

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016

There's no way to know for sure, just keep your receipts!
From experience, daisy-chaining different adapters from different manufacturers like that is just asking for trouble. Please understand, I'm only trying to set your expectations to a realistic level, that way, you are not disappointed if something doesn't work quite right.

What do you mean from HDMI to one of your USB ports?
What is the input? what is the output? Are you talking about your XBOX?

The XBOX One only outputs video via HDMI. The adapter mentioned above, lets you connect your XBOX One to your Display-Port-only computer monitor.

Netsurfer733

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013

I suppose I meant something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KJS1W1I/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1494343608&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Hdmi+to+usb&dpPl=1&dpID=41Ujy9j14BL&ref=plSrch but in reverse. I get the impression that's not a thing lol.

Alright - very disappointing but thanks for the tip hahah - at least there is *a* way!

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016

The adapter you mentioned is lightning to HDMI. It mirrors your iPhone's screen on your TV. It also works with iPad.
If by "in reverse", you mean, HDMI out from XBOX One to USB input on your monitor, then you're right, it's not a thing. That USB port on your monitor is not a video input. It's just a USB port, for connecting keyboards, mice, and the like.

Here's how it works. USB type A from your computer to the USB type B on your monitor is the upstream. The other two regular (Type A) USB ports on your monitor work just like you would expect: just plug anything into them and they connect to the computer automatically (downstream). Your monitor has a USB 3.0 hub, that's all it is.

Netsurfer733

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013

Gotcha yeah - two adapters or a new monitor lol. Thanks I appreciate it!