What Can Make A System Reboot Randomly?

dantewtf

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018
What makes a system just reboot, seemingly without some sort of indication of what is doing it? I had no issues with this until I reinstalled windows on a new SSD. Now I get a reboot sometimes, and I don't know how to troubleshoot it. Can a SSD cause the reboot? I thought it had to be some sort of Hardware issues either from power, MOBO, CPU or GPU. It is annoying because if I have anything that may take an hour or so to do, I can't trust my PC to hold up.

Any guides or way or reasons or anything that can help me?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Almost any component that is defective can cause a re-boot to happen. The most likely culprit is a failing or over-loaded PSU. But if this just started happening since the addition of the SSD, I would try to eliminate that first as the problem. Can you go back to using just the HDD temporarily for awhile to see if things change?

dantewtf

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018

Unfortunately I cannot go back to another HD with an OS on it. I will say, sometimes my computer shuts down and then it boots up to the windows repair screen, and then that tries to troubleshoot and fails. Then it sometimes takes a few reboots to come back normally. Also, my other HD before I switched over, sometimes would just fail loading randomly from reboots and I would have to go into the BIOS and reboot manually. Which is why I reinstalled windows, but this is worse. This is why I think it is some other component I don't know. Could is be the PSU glitching? I mean if my SSD can load windows correctly in the beginning, could it still be the SDD? I thought that would eliminate that at least?

dantewtf

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018

First thing I do is look at all my items I use, install windows drivers first, then all my peripherals, so on and so forth. So I would doubt it is that type of issue, but I don't know?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You might want to give CCleaner a run doing the Clean and Registry portions both. If there is some software conflict or registry error, CCleaner should spot it.

I'd even run a full virus and a Malwarebytes scan to eliminate the possibility of some poorly written malware or virus causing it. I haven't heard of a virus that causes shutdowns, but you never know.

That's the easy part. Then the hardware would seem to be the next logical place to look. That is going to be trial and error. Replacing components or disconnecting them if possible. What PSU do you have?

dantewtf

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018

So I was waiting unfortunately for it to happen again. Took around 3-4 hours this time to say "something went wrong" blue screen and shut off, until I had to manually reset the computer. It booted right up and checked that proper SSD was the boot drive. I also reseated my RAM cards just to see if that could be something, and it wasn't. I checked the Disk Management and the drive says "Healthy(Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)"

dantewtf

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018

Ok, I use CCleaner already, which seems to work great without being annoying. I will check out the malware thing, seems unlikely but like you said, you never know.

My part list is below, I have had this exact setup for around 3ish years? Only recently have things been wonky and especially with the Windows refresh. It is not overclocked now or anything like that.

Intel - Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor

Corsair - H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Asus - X79 Deluxe ATX LGA2011 Motherboard

ADATA - XPG V2 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory

Micron - 1100 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

EVGA - GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked Video Card

EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply