Question [SOLVED] Can't see GPU in device manager after install

May 30, 2023
SOLVED: Tried to install the wrong driver. Got correct driver. Thanks all

Everything was working 30 minutes ago until I reinstalled Windows 10 and went about installing drivers for my GPU when I ran into this error:

"NVIDIA installer cannot continue
The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

I check device manager and see that my GPU is not even listed. It only shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter as my display adapter. The card is seen by the BIOS.

Specs:
Mobo: Asus Prime 270-A
GPU: EVGA GTX970
Things I have tried:
Reseating the card. I put it into an open PCI slot, rebooted - nothing. Put back into original slot - nothing.
Reinstalling Windows (3x)
Updating the driver through device manager (the best driver is already installed)
Rebooting in Safe Mode
Changing BIOS to use integrated graphics, boot, reverting back, reboot - nothing
Enabling device manager to show hidden devices - nothing
Installing and reinstalling chipset drivers

Screenshots:
https://files.catbox.moe/m4gcgq.jpg

Running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
May 30, 2023
Yes, I have tried two different chipset drivers from Asus. I forgot to add that to my list of things attempted. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

edit:
I reread my OP and I did mention chipset drivers

Everything was working 30 minutes ago until I reinstalled Windows 10 and went about installing drivers for my GPU when I ran into this error:

"NVIDIA installer cannot continue
The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

I check device manager and see that my GPU is not even listed. It only shows Microsoft Basic Display Adapter as my display adapter. The card is seen by the BIOS.

Specs:
Mobo: Asus Prime 270-A
GPU: EVGA GTX970
Things I have tried:
Reseating the card. I put it into an open PCI slot, rebooted - nothing. Put back into original slot - nothing.
Reinstalling Windows (3x)
Updating the driver through device manager (the best driver is already installed)
Rebooting in Safe Mode
Changing BIOS to use integrated graphics, boot, reverting back, reboot - nothing
Enabling device manager to show hidden devices - nothing
Installing and reinstalling chipset drivers

Screenshots:
https://files.catbox.moe/m4gcgq.jpg

Running out of ideas. Any suggestions?
Where did the installer for w10 come from?

Why did you decide to reinstall w10?

May 30, 2023
Where did the installer for w10 come from?

Why did you decide to reinstall w10?

It came from Microsoft, direct download. I reinstalled Windows because I wanted a clean, snappy system, fresh registry, no lingering bloat - a clean slate. I do a reinstall every year to a year and a half.