agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
I've seen the Greatgrapeapes post of "what country would you choose" well all good idea's need to be plagerised and this is no exception.

If cards were cars, what would they be ?

ATI = TVR, most horsepower per ton, faster thatn a Mclaran F1
Nvidia = lambo
Matrox = Mini
XGI = Daewoo
SIS = they make cards ?
INTEL = Ford (sound but uninspiring)
3DLABS = Fiat ( i don't know anyone who owns either)
3DFX = (Ford GT40, very fast, but sadly extinct)

Any thoughts ?

Gary

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>PC 9600XT<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg DC DDR 3200<font color=blue>

cleeve

Illustrious
I'm going to put them in terms of everyday cars:

Nvidia: Chevrolet Corvette (Been around for a while, performs well)

Ati: Dodge Viper (Relatively new in the performance car market compared to the 'vette, but has proved itself with brutal strength and grace of execution)

Matrox: Toyota Prius. (Nifty technology, not so fast though.)

XGI: Ford Pinto. ('nuff said.)

SiS: Hyundai Tiburon. (Slick looking and decent performance. New tho, and certainly not the fastest car around. But sporty for the price.)

3dLabs: Jaguar XK. (New technology from an old manufacturer. Speedy but certainly not as fast as a vetter or viper. You probably won't see any around tho, pretty rare for a certain kind of customer.)

3dFX: American Motors Javelin. (Good performance but now defunct)

Intel: Chevrolet Cavalier. (Uninspiring but it'll get you around I guess. The damn things are everywhere.)

P.S. Ford is coming out with a new version of the GT40. :wink:

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
LOL, ooh the dreaded Pinto, being in Au we never saw them...but we certainly heard about them.

pauldh

Illustrious
That new GT40 is so sweet. Smokes most supercars except the much costlier ENZO. It's the Radeon 9800XT in my book. Unaccepted by the stubborn loyalists or the uninformed, but drooled over by the enthusiasts. Of course its performance is unbelievable for the price, so maybe it should be the R9800 Pro, the enzo is the FX5950, and I am at a loss because we need an even faster $700K card to be the Radeon 9800XT.

<A HREF="http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/bulletin_list.asp?type=review&bhcp=1" target="_new">http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/bulletin_list.asp?type=review&bhcp=1</A>

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

pauldh

Illustrious
LOL sorry if anyone out there owns one, but I can't resist.

The FX5800Ultra leafblower should be reserved for any of those obnoxious little city cars with the huge 6 inch exhaust tip. Those crappy loud things make me want to go stock up on spray foam and follow those punks home, so i can put a cork in the junker. You know the cars I mean, they are lowered to the ground and have the lowest profile tires available, they scrap the ground entering MickyD's, have 2-18" subs in what used to be the backseat and storage area... a perfect high fidelity blend with their factory 4x6" speakers in the grill. :wink: Well, perfect for vibrating every sidepanel so they can be heard for 1/2 mile away. And the owners of them think they are just so cool... until they grow up at least. Of course, like the FX5800U, the performance is aweful. And the owners put all their money into making the car obnoxiously loud and attention getting, and don't care about performance. They are just proud of their cars and will make up numbers when told a modified 11 sec, Mustang will blow them away.

Sorry, couldn't resist as those Honda civics, accords, or toyotas are all over my area now and are so utterly stupid and loud. Just a perfect comparison to FX5800U's. For me give me a non-flashy sleeper, or if it is loud, make it a nice v8 sound like the Vettes. The new Pontiac GTO's sound nice also.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

cleeve

Illustrious
Hey, there's nothing wrong with a Honda Civic per se. A fine car.

The problem is with the owner of a honda Civic who puts a 3 foot whale-tail spoiler on it, along with blue neon lights on the bottom, those irritating blue headlights that burn through your retinas at night, and 6 layers of nylon graphics on the side of it.

Oh yeah, and a 6" tailpipe extention that, BTW, does absolutely F$%K ALL for performance.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
yea, i used to live in sacramento, lots and LOTS of those rice burners around. and that stupid mod where you make your exhaust whistle when you womp on it had just started gaining popularity. now i live outside of seattle, no ricers, no white trash, just quiet. even the cops dont bother to turn on the siren.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

cleeve

Illustrious
Australia, eh?

I've always liked the musclecar Ford Falcons you fellowes have out there in the late 60's/early 70's.

Look like mini Gran Torinos. Went like hell. Nifty little cars.

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
Yea they were the GT-HO's, big block 351, went like a cut snake as we say over here, but stopping them, well 4 drum brakes made it quiker to run out of juice then it did to apply the brakes.

And those rice burners, i know what they mean, give em 5 grand for mods and they spend it all on stickers, blue lights, whale tails and a 6" exhaust. Like an nvidia advertising campaign..low performance but lots of bells and whistles.

cleeve

Illustrious
Makes me want to visit Australia just to drive one.

Should have done it before I was married though. All of those Aussie chicks and their sexy Aussie accents... (drool)

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
We don't have accents....but American Babes, and their accents......drrooooollll

cleeve

Illustrious
I guess everything's relative.

Hey, does the Canadian accent sound cool, or dorky?

Dorky, right?

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
no truer word have been said.

those damn noise makers piss me off... the KIDS that drive them can't tell the differance between sputtering noise and the nice rubble of a vette. oh i love that sound... thanks for reminding me.. its been a while since i heard one last.

as for those tail finns... its like putting on a steel makes it look like an airplane an now they must go fast because they can fly now right... no you look like an idiot that just put a bunch of unnecisary holes in the truck or you poor car... that use to look liek a desent ride.

There is definaly a BIG differance between todays car enthusiest and computer enthusiests.

<b><A HREF="http://www.1112.net/lastpage.html" target="_new">Finally...the LAST PAGE</A></b>
ASUS P4S8X-P4 2.4B - 2x512M DDR333 - ATI 9500Pro - WD80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
Sounds cool, but on a chick it sounds sexy. Used to go to school with a canadian, used to call him a yank just to bug him...worked everytime, well that and getting caught making out with his sister. Ah yes, he was not amused...

I love the TVR, Chimaera is still one of my Favs (a little less brash), and the Tuscan and 440 and 350 all look very nice (lke the Lotus Elise, only with BALLZ!); but they're not faster than a MACF1 (except pound for pund maybe). They are also missing the bells an whistles (no power steering, no ABS, no traction control), not that that's a bad thing, I'd just say that ATI has bells and whistles. I love TVR, but they are not the very top of the league, but they are very nice (more in my price range too, just wish they were available in N.Amr. like they were 10+ years ago.

MY view on it...

ATI is like the MACF1, or Buggatti Veyron, Ferrari Enzo, or Chrysler 412, Saleen S7, Porsche GT3. Flash, but absolutely raw-power, fast 0-60 and highest top speed (frames rates and AA/AF).

You are right the nV is like a Lamo Murciellago (sp?) imo, Green, mean, but really not as impressive as it's previous versions (Diablo still looks better and goes faster), and compared to the other supercars (even Porsches) they don't measure up.

Matrox, nah, not a mini; Matrox is more like a Bentley (Azure, Arnage, or even the new GT [BTW, they came in 1st and 2nd at LeMAns! :cool: ), a Rolls (Seraph or Corniche, and the storied history of things like the Silver Ghost, etc.), or the new Meissbach (sp?) from MercBenz. They LOOK awesome, but don't have the same performance as many other vehicles in their class, but the ride is definitely smoother and more 'scenic' than all others.

XGI, being Darwoo I wouldn't argue too much with, but their fortunes are likely more like YUGO.

SIS, now they would be the LADA of the automotive world, around for ever, they do the bare minimum, and no one will brag about owning one, and even those that drive them wish they could drive something else.

Intel, wouldn't they have to be GM? Bigger than all the rest, but slowly losing market share, and very little inspiring, as you say. BTW, Ford has the GT, and they make Aston Martins and Jaguars, but just like GM, that's another part of the company.

3Dlabs, I'd say they are like Massey Ferguson or Catipillar, they only sell specialty objects, and their share is being constantly eroded (especially Massey) as they slip into obscurity.

3DFX, would be more like Mazerrati, was number one, then died and got bought by FIAT and turned into a shadow of it's former self within the new parent company.

Anywhooo, that would be my take on it.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

I'd take a Roadrunner w/Hemi over a Javelin, but same idea. And after a Roadrunner I'd take a Hemi 'Cuda. The Superbird was Fast but looked goofy IMHO (Joe Dirt's Car).

My Dad had a green on green '66 (IIRC) charger when I was little and we lived in Ottawa (he bought it when he first worked in Montreal before I was born). He sold it to buy a 'family' car, the VALIANT! EWww!

Mmmm Roadrunner, with a Hemi and Edelbrock performance package, Mmmm! :cool:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
I would have to agree to a "T",

do you remember the days when we had a 2nd video card co-joined to the 2 d card for 3d work ?, damned if i can't remember the card now ? came with a whole 8 meg of Onboard ram ( though if you had the money you could buy the 12 meg version) was it a Diamomd stealth ?

Gary

cleeve

Illustrious
I used to have a '70 Roadrunner. Best car I ever had.

Back in the pre-marriage days, I also had a '70 Charger and a '69 Coronet. Coronet was the fastest of them all with a modified 383... I could get 13 flat at the strip.

But my favorite was that '70 Roadrunner. I had it in high school... that car was magic.

Fastest car I owned was a 70 Challenger Big Ass 440 Large block. Did it fly. Would hit 100 MPH in 1/4 mile. Stock. Once it hit that speed wanted to keep going. But had to shut it down next 1/4 mile comes real fast at that speed.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HardwareBoss on 02/18/04 11:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Wish we could talk politics like we can talk cars apparently (remembering theGreatGrapeApe's topic on countries which is no longer present on the forum btw, at least I can't find it anymore).

Nvidia = BMW 545i
Ati = Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX STi AWD

The BMW might be a looker, it's twice as expensive but actually outperformed by the Subaru (both in accelleration and top speeds).

I know... it's more appropriate to compare intel and AMD in this way but I don't wanna start another topic like this in the CPU forum :smile:

It's all about perception marketing...

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>