[SOLVED] What Card For an Old Asus A8N SLI ?

abrogard

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
we've got this Asus A8N SLI and it has a radeon 800 card in it that seems to be cracking up. At unpredictable times the screen will all be lurid characters.
It's in a PCIe 16 slot. And it has a VGA port only and the monitor we use on it can only handle VGA.
I can't find a card for it.
Many are way too expensive for this old thing that just sits there doing nothing most of the time.
Cheaper, like second hand, all seem to be HDMI which is no good unless we get another monitor - again, not worth the bother/expense.
It's running Linux Mint ( when it runs ).
Any suggestions as to what we might use for a card, where we might look (p.s., we're in Aus, not the USA) ?

Solution
A lot of new cards need bios to be UEFI, having owned an P5N32 SLI which came out after your board, I know it isn't UEFI (it was made 5 years too early)

looking around, something like a GTX 260 was suggested or a HD4870 in 2009 - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asus-a8n-sli-best-2009-graphics-card.826159/
You have to get off Ebay as you won't find one locally new... when it was released in 2004 I would have to go to roaming markets that would visit various towns around NSW, and it was a lot of fun getting returns... but I digress.

Colif

Win 11 Master
A lot of new cards need bios to be UEFI, having owned an P5N32 SLI which came out after your board, I know it isn't UEFI (it was made 5 years too early)

looking around, something like a GTX 260 was suggested or a HD4870 in 2009 - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asus-a8n-sli-best-2009-graphics-card.826159/
You have to get off Ebay as you won't find one locally new... when it was released in 2004 I would have to go to roaming markets that would visit various towns around NSW, and it was a lot of fun getting returns... but I digress.

Solution

abrogard

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Thanks for that. Very interesting indeed. Puts me in the picture. I hadn't known about that UEFI thing. So it's not good news.
What about if I get another monitor so's I can use HDMI? My chances would be better then or it's about time to give up on this old board?
What about some crappy old PCI card?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I still have a PC in my garage I had to retire as it was getting hard to find PCI cards, and that was in 2008.

its starting to get hard to keep it alive. You better off buying a cheap new or 2nd hand PC as even a low end one will still run rings around it. Integrated graphics is probably all you need. hardest part then is attaching your monitor. Not many cards have VGA anymore.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i meant integrated on next PC.

I used to have an A7N8X Deluxe (only know as I have manual), close to that board. Actually, its probably one in garage now. Had an Athlon XP in it I think, from memory.

Your pc has lasted a long time, not many people still using PC from about 2004 still. they don't last forever really. Especially as it gets harder to find parts as things change. At least most parts are backwards compatible now

Wait and see if anyone else has any ideas.

abrogard

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
yes I realise you meant the next pc. it was just a gratuitous comment I guess. you don't think there's any possibilities with straight pci cards? or more chances with an hdmi card ?

Yep, I realise it is very old board. But this is no big drama, I don't present it as that. Just quiet discussion on a minor topic for those with an interest.

By the way I've got fx 500 'computer' - i.e. a pocket calculator from Casio that is over 20 years old now. And it is still my favourite.

And I got it as a gift.

Some things are just good value.... :)